Dive Quest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike W

Registered
Reaction score
I recently did the Dive Quest dive at Epcot and was wondering if anyone happened to notice the condition of many of the fish in the exhibit. I noticed many of them had skin erosion issues and fin rot that looked nasty! Given Disney's attention to detail through it's parks, this seemed to be counter to that. When someone in the group I was diving with asked about the white patches on the heads of the fish, we were told that the fish are itchy and will scatch against things. Yah, right. Anyone one else see this?

I recently did the Dive Quest dive at Epcot and was wondering if anyone happened to notice the condition of many of the fish in the exhibit. I noticed many of them had skin erosion issues and fin rot that looked nasty! Given Disney's attention to detail through it's parks, this seemed to be counter to that. When someone in the group I was diving with asked about the white patches on the heads of the fish, we were told that the fish are itchy and will scatch against things. Yah, right. Anyone one else see this?

Been that way since the beginning, mostly. I'd guess it's the best they can do given it's an aquarium.

Typical of most places like that...amusement parks, hotels, the rainforest cafe etc. The fish get head and lateral line erosion as well as bacterial infection. Usually the result of stress and poor water quality.

I was in disney last march, i did the snorkeling thing at typhoon lagoon. I can't speak for the fish as its deep, dark, and you are instructed to go fast and not stop. Buts its a relatively small enclosed system and the line was huge throughout the day. I can't imagine all that sunscreen lotion is doing much good.

This is normal for fish held in captivity. We have the same issue with Salmon called brood stock because of fin condition from living in tight quarters in the breeding tanks and constatntly rubbing. Ugly little critters they turn out to be.

I was told that this issue also has to do with the fact that Disney uses man made salt water. They have around 90% of the original water that went in 20 yrs ago. New England Aquarium uses salt water right from the harbor which contains natural organisms to fight these issues. Those fish look much better than Disneys!

I was told that this issue also has to do with the fact that Disney uses man made salt water. They have around 90% of the original water that went in 20 yrs ago. New England Aquarium uses salt water right from the harbor which contains natural organisms to fight these issues. Those fish look much better than Disneys!

Its actually the opposite...synthetic sea salt has necessary trace elements in it, but if they aren't maintaining the water quality its probably not doing much good. As for pumping in water, it would depend on how large the system is but typically water close to shore is polluted and would have negative affects.

hi there, im looking to doing the Epcot dive quest, and have e-mailed them but no replies as yet because im going to Florida in June this year and can't seem to be able to book it do u have to phone them, would appreciate some feedback on this before my holiday. thanks

I googled it and there's a phone # that might help. Call (407) WDW-TOUR or (407) 939-8687. It's a fun dive if you've never done it. They supply all the gear except you can bring a prescription mask if you have one. They videotape your dive and you can buy it after the dive. They tell you to point out your friends or family as they watch you through the windows so everyone gets in the video. There are discounts available from different places but I'd ask about it when you book it.

FYI all, there was another thread here or on ST forum about the recent fish condition with some more information on it... you can likely find it in the search tool.

I'd like to echo Mike W.'s comments and add my own. I've done the dive quest tour two times in the past two years. Its a lot of fun. Note that the dives are in the afternoon. One at 4pm and one at 5pm. You do not need to purchase admission to EPCOT to go on the dives. You meet on the far right gate and wait for the tour guide. They will ask for your c-card and then size you up for gear. The gear is new. you get your life support gear and a shorty and boots. Water temp was about 70 deg. I've not had an issue with weighting. They seem to hit right each time. I would recommend bringing your own mask. Those you used the provided masks complained about leaking. you can also bring a dive watch or computer. The experience begins however with a back stage tour which lasts about 20 minutes. you then head to the locker room where you will find your own gear bag. You do have to enter the exhibit area and interact with guests on your way to the top of the tank. They will give you guidelines on how to interact with guests. For this experience, disney considers you a 'castmember' to you basically have to smile and wave a lot. I mentioned the gear above, but forgot to mention the tanks. They are small, about 50 cubic feet. I've never come close to emptying my tank. If you do, no problem, just head up and they will give you another one. Bottom time is 40 minutes. At the beginning of the dive you have to stay together and then one by one, go into the diving bell where of doff your reg, smile for the cameras, don your reg and exit. This takes about 15 mintues for a large group. After that its free swim where you can explore on your own. Its fun to interact with the guests especially those in the restaurant. When the experience is over, you do have the option to purchase the video for $30. After that they release you into the park. this is great because you get 1 or 2 hours free admission (assuming you didn't purchase it) before the park closes.

Back
Top Bottom