Preparation reading for Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive_forever

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This summer I plan to take the PADI divemaster course. I have a desire to share something that I love with others. I also enjoy learning, have a desire to help others and would like to teach.

This winter I have some down time, so I thought why not study up on the material that we will be covering. This is because it has been a few years sense I took the divemaster course.

I would begin the divemaster course now, with my local dive shop: but I know I am transferring in the spring, and I donÃÕ want to complete the whole course in less than 6 months.

What should I read / review prior to starting the divemaster course? I plan on rereading my rescue diver book, advanced open water and the basic open water book also. Is there anything else that you would suggest I review prior to starting this course?

Prior to starting the course I will also be doing more diving, to hone and improve my skills, as well as relax more. That is once the lakes up here are no longer solid.:depressed:

I also thought that a refresher course may not be a bad idea.

In addition to the three you mentioned, and roughly in the order of my opinion about their usefulness:
Divemaster Manual and Video
RDP Manuals (3 versions: - flat table, wheel, electronic)
Divemaster Conducted Programs portions of the instructor manual i.e.
- Snorkeling and Skindiver Courses
- Scuba Review and Discover Local Diving
- Discover Scuba Diving
PADI Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
OW video for skills demo.
Diving Knowledge Workbook
First aid and specialty course books , especially Underwater Navigator.

Note that according to the Instructor Manual, you'll be required to have in your possession:
Divermaster manual
All three versions of the RDP
Encyclopedia
Diving Knowledge Workbook
The three Divemaster Conducted Programs Instructor Guides

You will need to read/comprehend the materials listed above. However, I think you'd be better off reading some of the following in order to get a better understanding of the sport:

Diver Down by Michael Ange -- This is a compilation of diving accidents and is a book every DM should read.

The Certified Diver's Handbook by Clay Coleman -- While getting a little dated (mine is 2004) this book provides information that just isn't covered in the PADI texts I've read. (I'm a PADI DM.) The book states that it is designed to provide the "Certified Diver" the knowledge to "Dive confidently and independently" and, I believe, does a good job. He answers a lot of the questions that you, as a DM, may be asked.

Deco for Divers by Mark Powell (?) -- While I haven't (yet) read this book, the reports to date are that this is THE book every diver must read to begin to understand "The Mysterious Malady" (which is, btw, a pretty good DVD from Global Underwater Explorers on decompression).

There are a few online articles I believe you should read:

By SB's NWGrateful Diver:

Understanding Gas Management Nowhere in the PADI recreational curriculum is "gas management" discussed in any meaningful way. This article covers it.

Uh-oh, I'm in DECO A good article on recreational deco (an oxymoron but still good!)

Where'd my buddy go? An article on what it means to be "a good buddy" that every new diver should read and comprehend.

Rock Bottom by Lamont Granquist -- Lamont is a local (to me) technical diver and this is his explanation of the concept of "rock bottom" -- that is, how to determine how much gas (air) you must always reserve in order to dive safely. Along with NWGrateful Diver's "Gas Management" article, one should thoroughly comprehend the subject.

Diver Forever, if you really have fewer than 100 dives over a 10 year period, I would strongly urge you to read these and dive A LOT in many different situations before you start your DM class. You'll be a MUCH better DM for the experiences and knowledge.

DAN has some good online courses you can take. I found the following very useful for both my DM and instructor training.

Inert Gas Exchange, Bubbles, and Decompression Theory
Ears and Diving Seminar

In general all divers would benefit from these online courses. Reasonably priced as well.

Good luck,

Arizona

The TDI Advanced Nitrox book. This helped me understand the physics portion of the course better than anything else did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom