Best place for a liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexander

New
Reaction score
Ok, guys, here's a tricky question: if you were to choose THE spot for a nice liveaboard opeation, where would it be? :)

Thanks,

Alex

I'm not sure if it would be legal but it might be interesting to have a boat based out of the keys or Ft. Lauderdale that would cruise down to Cuba and dive around the Island. I don't even know if the diving there is any good but having an American based boat would lower travel cost significantly for divers.

I'm not sure how much diving there is off the coast of Costa Rica but this would be a new and easy access location for a liveaboard. I know a couple venture out to the remote locations but not everyone is up for that cost and rough ride.

I have personally used Liveaboards as much as possible but cost is always an issue. I'm always willing to pay something more than a land based operation because I get more diving. The crews are generally more knowledgeable and friendly. You can't beat the convenience. I have yet to find an area I wanted to dive that didn't already have one or more liveaboards except maybe Cozumel.

I'd have to second that. While diving last week in Cozumel, I spoke with a Spanish diver who had been all over the world. He said that the SW coast of Cuba was some of the best diving he'd ever done. Bad news is is: you'd probably have to be within their territorial waters; good news is: things might change someday -- soon, I hope.

that is a really tough one....... I think there are plenty of liveaboards worldwide covering all the better diving areas. Getting divers to and from the boat is an issue, too....there must be an international airport closeby and travel costs can't outweigh the diving enjoyment.

I am sure there are some areas in Caribbean that would work though.

I have said for a couple of years I would like to see the Nekton put a boat off NC coast during summer months for all those wreck dives. I think a nice, more stable diving platform type boat (like the Nekton) would be awesome there. I bet it would fill up every week from April - Nov, too. But I doubt anyone would do it in wintertime.

robin:D

Ok, guys, here's a tricky question: if you were to choose THE spot for a nice liveaboard opeation, where would it be? :)

Cuba would be great, but as soon as it becomes legal there will be lots of competition.

I'd pick St. Vincent and the Grenadines, although you'd probably face strong opposition from some of the land-based dive operators who are politically well connected.

I agree, when this question has been asked before I've suggested St Vincent. I don't know anything about the political connection thing but I can believe it and have wondered about that myself. Sort of stupid if it's true, because more awareness and promotion of the good diving there might do the land ops good. And maybe some more visitors would eventually result in better air service, which stinks.

Back
Top Bottom