Better of the two....Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Midget

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Will be in Bali Feb/March (not Mola Mola season:depressed:.) We've only allowed for 1 or 2 days diving.
8 yrs ago I spent a day at Menjangan and the only thing that sticks out in my mind was getting attacked by a trigger fish. It wiped out all memory of what the rest was like!
Also dived around the Gilis that trip which I remember vividly because I wept after the dives. Completely devastated corals from cyanide & dynamite fishing plus heard blasts while under.
Anyhoo, I'm game to try Tulamben if there are decent corals and fish. Is it all muck diving in that vicinity?
We need to make a decision between Tulamben area or Menjangan.
Cheers for any advice.

Tulamben isn't muck diving at all. They have about 5-7 dive sites you can get to by foot or "boat" which are excellent. Menjangan is a really awesome spot to dive... I had the more epic dives at Menjangan but I really enjoyed Tulamben! I'd probably go for Menjangan if I only had 2 days...

Sean

Tulamben & Menjangan is world class diving sites.
I just dove last weekend & it's was amazing.

I nerver heard about dynamite fishing in Bali.

Tulamben isn't muck diving, and I have not seen any heavy bomb fishing on Bali's N. Coast. I do feel that Bali's North Coast is very Underrated, due to the more Famous Dive destinations (Sulawesi/Komodo).

Menjangan, and Tulamben are both great choices.

You can do more dives in a day at Tulamben, but no nightlife in the city at all. The Liberty Wreck is Great at night as well.

In Menjangan, you can base your self inLovina, which is great, and get two dives in with the local operaters.

Hey, will be at Tulamben from 24-27 Feb 09 & then at Menjangan until 3 Mar... It will be our 2nd time to Tulamben & 1st time to Menjangan... Our friends are planning to visit the Menjangan National Park or something, I m interested in the hot springs at Mimpi... ;-)
Tulamben Wreck Divers is having promo for the months of Jan & Feb 09, u might want to keep them in mind... ;-)

Tulamben: Liberty Wreck, macro diving in Seraya and Drop Off. Great anemone in Paradise Reef.
Manjangan : Healthy colorful coral Reef with good combination of small stuff too. Excellent garden eel.

Advice : Uhmm...extend you stay and dive both. :D

Feb/March I'd say you'd be better off (as regards weather/conditions) at Menjangan Island

Diving in the Tulamben area is: wreck, reef, wall, muck, macro, shore and boat (as far as taking a little outrigger fishing boat is boat-diving).

Hope that's useful.

Annabel

Annabel Thomas, Director
AquaMarine Diving - Bali, PADI 5 Star Dive Resort 6344
Indonesia's first Project AWARE Go ECO Operator

Office: Jl Raya Seminyak 2A, Kuta, Bali 80361
Postal: PO Box 2098, Kuta, Bali 80361
Phone: +62 361 730 107 Fax: +62 361 735 368

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom