PDA

View Full Version : How many calories do I burn diving???

mikeguerrero
December 22nd, 2008, 07:48 AM
Hi all,

I just read up that I can burn about 437 calories per hour while diving... Okay that's better than my gym membership which I seldom use...

So who wants to burn calories with me at Monterey....

dannobee
December 22nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
I just read up that I can burn about 437 calories per hour while diving... Okay that's better than my gym membership which I seldom use...

I read that somewhere a while back, too. Then I thought about how I dive and figured it couldn't be true. Rolling off of a boat, then meandering around and mostly hanging out in the water column sure doesn't burn that many calories for me. ;)

But then some people scull, kick like crazy, and are grossly overweighted, so it *could* be possible to burn that many calories, especially if they're shore diving Monastery or some of the Garrapata/Big Sur sites. :eyebrow:

dpbishop
December 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
from caloriesperhour.com Calories Burned, BMI, BMR & RMR Calculator | CaloriesPerHour.com (http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php)

for a 200 lb diver

scuba diving: 635 calories per hour

scuba diving as a navy seal: 1,089 calories per hour

dhammer
December 22nd, 2008, 04:14 PM
I'll burn some calories with you, but I'm not sure it'll be enough to offset that after-dive pizza at Gianni's.

mikeguerrero
December 22nd, 2008, 04:20 PM
I'll burn some calories with you, but I'm not sure it'll be enough to offset that after-dive pizza at Gianni's.

LOL,

That is truly the truth, LOL... On a serious note, Devin I need to get in a dive with you. I'm on X-mas break already but I'm moving and should be done today. I'd like to do a simple Break Water dive out to the Metridiums or the wall, just 2 dives.

I would be diving wet since my drysuit class is not until the first week of January. I would be a good candidate as a buddy since I know the i3 up and personal :)

MG

bbianchi
December 22nd, 2008, 05:34 PM
When the conditions are right I think North Monastery is easier to dive than breakwater ;) :D.

Good luck with the move Mike, mine is going to happen whenever my bank funds my loan!! GRRR stupid holidays! ;) Er no really, I LOVE Christmas. Either way I SHOULD have "garage access" by Friday so im still planning to head down to Fresno this weekend and get all my stuff outa storage and at least stick it in the garage. Ill have no chance of finding people to help me move over new years.

Gombessa
December 22nd, 2008, 05:38 PM
The funny thing is that I tend to try and MINIMIZE any physical activity during diving, by staying still and moving as little as possible. That can't be a great form of aerobic exercise!

dhammer
December 22nd, 2008, 05:47 PM
I think no matter where you dive, it's the exit that really drives up the calories burned. And of course, the workout you get just putting on your gear.

reefduffer
December 22nd, 2008, 08:15 PM
Hi all,

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/226978-how-many-calories-does-diving-burn.html
In post #34 I think I made a pretty good case that calories burned can be estimated pretty well from SAC rate.

rakkis
December 22nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
Most of the calories are burned passively as your body tries to maintain core temperature.

DocWong
December 23rd, 2008, 01:15 AM
Calories used while diving??? During the dive, I would say minimal unless like Dannobee says you're working unnecessarily hard.

But if you counted pre and post dive, hella yea! For me, climbing rocks throwing floats out, carrying multiple bottles, video cameras, scooters (Gavins are heavy!), Not to mention walking with doubles, then getting into the water putting on your fins...that's all hard work compared to diving.

Then post dive, the reverse and then you have to carry and rinse all your gear. I'll be that's more than 1000 calories per hour!

A few weeks ago, we watched a very heavy and out of shape diver work her way into the water with several false starts, finally getting into the water with the help of a very patient buddy. I was quietly praying,"don't have a heart attack, don't have a heart attack." The amount of heavy breathing reminded me of how physical diving can be before the dive!

mpgunner
December 23rd, 2008, 01:23 AM
Well I sure am starving after a dive or two. But then we shovel calories in afterwards so it is probably even...

dhammer
December 23rd, 2008, 04:59 AM
When the conditions are right I think North Monastery is easier to dive than breakwater ;) :D.

OH you'd take ANY excuse to dive Monastery. :D

micboucher
December 23rd, 2008, 11:17 AM
OH you'd take ANY excuse to dive Monastery. :D

I haven't dived Monastery in so long! It looked like a lake last Sun and there wasn't one car there. :shocked2: I would have loved to dive there if I wasn't on my way to Lobos. So, when are we going? ;)

dhammer
December 23rd, 2008, 02:12 PM
I haven't dived Monastery in so long! It looked like a lake last Sun and there wasn't one car there. :shocked2: I would have loved to dive there if I wasn't on my way to Lobos. So, when are we going? ;)

I'm hoping Neptune will give us a nice xmas gift of a week of phenomenal conditions. After all, haven't we been good little fishies?

Gombessa
December 23rd, 2008, 03:18 PM
I'm hoping Neptune will give us a nice xmas gift of a week of phenomenal conditions. After all, haven't we been good little fishies?

That Neptune guy can be a real poopy-pants sometimes.

http://cdip.ucsd.edu/recent/model_images/fc_summary.png

dhammer
December 23rd, 2008, 05:01 PM
That Neptune guy can be a real poopy-pants sometimes.

http://cdip.ucsd.edu/recent/model_images/fc_summary.png

I think he'll come through for us next week.:scubadive:

bbianchi
December 23rd, 2008, 10:37 PM
Hopefully, storm search is saying 30+ at the buoy. NOAA says 9 to 14 right now in the bay on Friday. Looks like the worst point hits the night of Christmas. Today wasn't too horribly bad just had to get some depth.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1