Is now a good time for diving Indonesia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

londonj

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Sort of posted this in the wrong place originally I think...

I'm due to be in SE Asia for a couple of weeks right at the beginning of the new year and want to go somewhere cool to dive. Since we're arriving in Singapore, I'm primarily looking at places that I can reach within a day or two from there.

Given the amount of other stuff to do in Indonesia (also love trekking and jungle walking) we're leaning this way. But is it good conditions just now for diving, given the rainy season?

Our main interests are seeing lots of (and hopefully some big) fish and staying a low-key environment.

So a quick question to the forum...Are we on the right or wrong track thinking about Indonesia just now?

Check out the Silk Air web site regularly for any special fares to Manado, North Sulawesi (for Lembeh, Bunaken National Marine Park and other places) as the air fare is your biggest cost. Its only a three hour flight from Singapore and Silk Air is a subsidiary of Singapore Airlines (so it has new, well maintained planes).

In North Sulawesi there are number of dive operations with different prices and different degrees of comfort.

will you be going to KL as well? Flights to Manado from KL are half price of what they are on Silk Air from Sing

Hi,

Thanks for the tips guys, *very* useful - Silk Air's network looks very very useful for getting around.

I am lucky enough not to be that worried about budget...not because I'm even remotely rich but because I don't take enough holiday so when I do I don't worry about the money side...

Apart from the practicalities, is this time of year good around North Sulawesi? Or would I be better looking at Philippines?

Thanks!!!

You could consider Bali - Air Asia also flies directly here (as well as to Manado).

Bali has great diversity of dive locations, lots of fish including some big ones (reef sharks, Mantas and the like) and you don't need to stay in the southern touristy-area, lots of places where you can chill out (eg Tulamben with great diving on the doorstep, shore-diving!).

Hope that's useful.

Annabel

Annabel Thomas, Director
AquaMarine Diving - Bali, PADI 5 Star Dive Resort 6344
Indonesia's first Project AWARE Go ECO Operator

Office: Jl Raya Seminyak 2A, Kuta, Bali 80361
Postal: PO Box 2098, Kuta, Bali 80361
Phone: +62 361 730 107 Fax: +62 361 735 368

Can also fly Jetstar/ Valuair to Bali. Or checkout the 2 to go promo at Silkair S$328 to Manado... Both places offer great diving & trekking (am not sure abt how s the trekking tho).
Can fly Cebu Pacific to Philippines. When we were at Malapascua 6-12Dec, it was raining intermittenly & gloomy for the 1st couple of days & then sunny after that... Should check the weather from the local forum but I doubt it will rain the whole day at the dive sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom