Let me learn from your mistakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYC-Diver

Reaction score
Hey... Let me learn from your mistakes. I'm all packed for my Lombok/Flores trip in three days.

So, of course, I'm worried that I'm forgetting something.

Please, fellow divers, tell me things big and small that you've forgotten to pack on Indo trips past, so I don't make the same mistake. And conversely, if there is anything -- dive related or not -- that you lugged all the way to Indo and never needed, I'd like to hear that too.

I always like to bring a little something for my dive guide. Like a nice whistle (in addition to a cash tip) Remember to save some Indonesia currency for your international departure tax.

Weigh you bags carefully and divide the weight up based on what the limits will be. Others have reported having to pay extra when overweight on domestic flights. Carry on your reg/computer and camera as those are the hardest to replace with lost of delayed.

I have a separate regular bag which I attached with snap bolts to my regular carry on to make it easier to open in case of inspection. No one has ever challenged me carrying the reg bag, if they did I could disconnect it and claim as a personal item (like purse, or computer) in addition to my normal carry on

If you are bringing any US cash, make sure that the banknotes are clean, crisp and as new as possible as older and dirty currency is hard to change.

For US (and Most Europeans) Citizens you can pay for a visa on arrival. I believe it is still US$25 cash for 30 days.

Take precautions against mosquitoes in particular regarding malaria.

Do lots of night dives.

Contact your dive operator and ask them if there is anything small you can bring for the them. Sometimes they need special batteries for dive computers or cameras, or even a download of a large camera manual, special memory chip for a camera. Things that may be very expensive or hard to find in Indonesia.

I take with me my most recent old expired passport, just in case I lose mine, it better than having nothing. And of course photo copies of my current passport.

nyc-diver,
i just returned from wakatobi.
it was a very warm 90f.
did not need half the clothes i took.

however, when you return home, it might be a cool walk from the airport to where you left your car.
a coat might come in handy.

Books and school supplies for the local kids.

I actually loaded up on some Obama t-shirts for gifts. There seems to be Obamania in Indo now.
Good idea?

Great ideas, everyone. And, I'm worried about the baggage fees. So greedy those airlines.

Hand sanitizer and tissues. Don't laugh. Most likely you'll be making connecting flights through some small airports. The bathrooms are not exactly clean.

Obama-mania is in Full effect in Indo. I watched the elections results over there. I don't think Flores could get more lively. Good call on the shirts.

I know people in the Manado area (North Sulawesi) love T-shirts of all kinds. Not matter what is written on them.

I always carry a short roll of toilet paper, even if you going to some posh resort by boat , you may need to use the bathroom in the port area and facilities are very basic.

You will definitely want a reef hook, with about 1 metre of line attached to it and a bolt snap on the end of the line.

No matter what anyone says.

Also bring a spare power inflator assembly and hose with you, and 2 zip ties to attach it, and nail clippers. This is in case your primary power inflator on your B/C-wing starts to stick.

And do not bring any weights, like ankle weights, or soft weights. Just your pouch weight belt empty.

mosquito repellant,
slippers,

Cameraaaaaaaa!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom