Sharm Liveaboard Dilema

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evilclown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A while back I posted a thread about doing daily boat dives in sharm versus a short liveaboard. Things seemed to be going in the direction of the liveaboard but as of recently things have changed. Mainly due to the fact that IÃÎ not getting an exact itinerary from the liveaboard.

HereÃÔ my dilemma.

i have 4 days to dive total. the only liveaboard i've been able to find for those days is a 3 day trip. it leaves on the night of my first day there which means that i would be able to do a regular boat dive in the morning before the liveaboard takes off. IÃ×e been told that the dives on the first day of the liveaboard will most likely be the same dives I will do on the regular boat the day prior the so called ÅÊntroductory dives. Also the liveaboard is not guarantying any sort of itinerary and says it will depend on weather conditions and experience level of the rest of the divers. It is only a 3 day liveaboard with the first day being ÅÓepeat dives and the other days ÅÕo be determined? Also no exact number of dives per day, night dives, sites, etc.

So if IÃÎ in sharm for 4 days of diving then is it worth taking the liveaboard with no set dive sites or am I better off hoping on a different boat every day and going exactly where I want.

I understand that 1 day is mandatory ÅÊntroduction dive in the Red Sea. Then correct me if IÃÎ wrong but it appears that 1 day I should go to the ÅÕhislegorm and 1 day to ÅÓas Mohamed which leaves 1 day open to go to wherever . . .

If IÃÎ stuck on the liveaboard then I will have really only 1.5 days to split between thislegorm and ras Mohamed and no extra day. This is assuming they even go there as they wonÃÕ say exactly where they are going.

If I stay on land can I pick and choose where I want to go everyday even if it means jumping around and using different dive ops each day.

IÃÎ traveling half way across the world to dive for 4 days and want to make sure I get to see the really good stuff and not what somebody wants to show me out of convenience.

Any suggestions?

Any must see dive sites while in sharm if I only have 4 days?

Thanks.

Hey,
I think you should go for the Liveaboard, for the following reason, they can't promise any dive site, as the sea conditions can vary greatly& some sites are undivable on certain days. the thing is, they are undivable for the day trip as well, meaning, if the liveaboard can't dive there, no one can!
I think you can't go wrong, they will take you to the best place possible! and if its your first time in Sharem, no matter where you dive, it will be great, I can promise you that.
The only thing you should check, is who are the rest of the guests on the boat...
as for where to dive, yes Thiselgorm, very good, at least 2 dives if you can!! Ras Mohamad, great! Tiran Island, there are so many reefs out there, and most are very good...

If its diving you are after, go for the LoB.

Hope this helped out!

If you go diving with a shore based centre then most reputable centres will ask for the first day to be a local site dive and after that you will be asked where you want to go.
You can then ask for Thistlegorm, Ras Mohamed and Tiran.
The centre where I work from time to time offers 2 dives on Thistlegorm and one in Ras Mohamed as one trip which means an early start but offers a great day.
You would also be offered 3 dives a day in Tiran and Ras Mohamed if you went on the boat with them.
The advantage of not taking a liveaboard is that you are free to choose what to do and when to do it as well as haqving the nights to explore the delights of Sharm.
Hope this is useful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom