Hammerheads in PI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamtodd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a place in PI where you can see Hammerhead Shark. I read in a couple books that they have them here, but didn't know if there was a place that is easier to find them. I am only interested in dives less then 55 meters, in order to find them....:crafty:

*chuckle* for a while there i thought larry decided to celebrate the new year with his family in galera again.

adamtodd, there is no place in the PI where hammerheads are guaranteed sightings. not anymore. there used to be some in cabilao and i heard there is a chance to see them in tubbataha.

few dives here are beyond 40 meters actually. but if you're looking for other stuff other than hammerheads, we got loads of macro critters here as well as reef sharks, mantas, tresher sharks and whalesharks in several parts of the country. all at recreational depth.

The only hammerhead I know just moved to Libya :)

Seriously, you might have a higher chance of seeing them in the Texas Flower Gardens marine sanctuary. They migrate through the area between February and March, but the conditions are pretty nasty and trips to FG gets canceled 50% of the time due to bad weather. Hope this helps.

adam, from what I've read, sightings in the philippines of hammerheads are only occasional, no matter where you go. If hammerheads are really high on your list of things to see, you'll need to be making a trip to galapagos, cocos island (costa rica) or tahiti. I understand the interest in big pelagics like that. It must be amazing. But I've changed my interest to macro. I'd much rather see a Mimic octopus now (which can be seen in PI). It must be awesome to see it do it's Richard Nixon imitation...:rofl3:

Cheers!

adam:

if you're interested in hammerhead sharks you can probably arrange a visit to Yonaguni Island in Japan. Try google for wikitravel.org/en/Yonaguni. Hammerhead sharks congregate around the island and can be spotted on most dives in the cooler winter season (December-February). If you're interested, I know a dive shop here in Japan that offers dive packages to Yonaguni.

Most touristic areas in PI's offer almost zero chance of hammerhead. There is chance on Quimod Shoal, Malpascua at right time of year if you dive deeper.

Otherwise, you must either (a) travel to lesser know places here known to a few, or (b) go to place like Cocos or Galapagos Islands.

Depends on your budget and dedication.

There is a place here in Southern Mindanao where hammerhead have been seen in place resembling Tubattaha 10 years ago.

Place hard to dive and wild (we have been there).

PM us if you have cash and want to dive this place.

WWD

Adam

Not saying that this will cost a fortune, but logistics and arrangements are less than straightforward.

Note that the place we refer to was dived by Bebot Santa Cruz - the father of Tubattaha who saw hammerhead and manta there. We made a few dives here and the place is wild - two atolls just offshore with ripping currents. Not known to more than 5 people.

Again, PM me if you are intersted in diving here.

WWD

Cool... Thanx for the info.. I was reading an old dive guide, and they mentioned Hammerheads here. I have never seen one, so I figured it was worth finding out if they have a spot over here were the gather. Galapagos - Someday.....

that is also what i thought of when i read the title... hhahahaha...

*chuckle* for a while there i thought larry decided to celebrate the new year with his family in galera again.

adamtodd, there is no place in the PI where hammerheads are guaranteed sightings. not anymore. there used to be some in cabilao and i heard there is a chance to see them in tubbataha.

few dives here are beyond 40 meters actually. but if you're looking for other stuff other than hammerheads, we got loads of macro critters here as well as reef sharks, mantas, tresher sharks and whalesharks in several parts of the country. all at recreational depth.

another option for Hammerheads in Asia would be Layang Layang off of Malaysia (Borneo).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom