Buddy checks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

radagalf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
this is just a question that I thought of as I was reading Dee's thread...

When you do your buddy checks do you actually check over the other diver and go through it with them, or do you just kind of check yourself over?

I generally only communicate with my buddy(ies) if they are new buddies, to let them know where my alternate is, my weight belt, etc. If I'm with someone I know fairly well, I may look over their equipment, and I check myself over using BWRAF, but we don't do an 'official' buddy check.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are... do you think you should do a full check of each others gear, or just your own is good enough?

that we go through before every dive. Even though we all dive the same gear configuration, we do a complete oral gear check of our own gear, including reciting what's in your pockets or clipped off to a d-ring. The idea is that whatever any one diver is carrying is part of the team's gear, so everybody needs to know what you're carrying. We do a visual inspection of each other's gear to make sure everything is hooked up, in the right place and that no hoses are tangled or caught on something. We do a modified s-drill to make sure that the hoses are clear and unobstructed do do an air share. Then when we get into the water, we do a bubble check.

After the 1st pool session, I have my students cross check their equipment...with me as a 3rd "invisible" eye

In play diving my instructor's "Mother Henning/Daddy Dolphin" instinct kicks in

Joe

but for the last nine years I have dove either in the Bahamas or Florida with the same set of guys. None of us ever did buddy checks on each other. All we ever did was double check that someone's air was on before they went in the water.

While doing my AOW dives last year, a diver that I was paired with started going through a buddy check and I was caught by surprise. Hadn't done that since my OW dives in '94.

I do think that buddy checks should be done though...

I believe that buddy checks are essential,its way to easy to become LAX ,and forget the basics everyone.I suggest you develop a system,Check yourself,check hose routing,check your buddys hoses,BC snaps&weights,air pressure,and tank straps---all it it takes is ONE overlooked piece of equipment!!!Also before you take that stride take a couple deep breaths on your primary second-and watch your pressure gauge,if it drops dramatically your valve is'nt open all the way.Hey,this is supposed to be a fun recreational hobby,but you and your buddies safety should be paramount!!!!!Go dive and have a BLAST!!!!!!!!

I generally do my own checks on my own gear, and I if I am diving with others I'm not familiar with I watch as they gear up.

When diving with regular buddies, we do our own checks and we are familiar enough with each others gear that a quick glance is all that is necessary to determine if it's right or not. That's one of the beautiful things about diving a hogarthian rig.

Part of my pre-dive routine is that I ALWAYS take at least 3 breaths off of each regulator before getting in the water. As long as I can breathe, any other problem can be dealt with.

Once we are in the water, we commonly do quick bubble checks for leaks or problems before starting our dive. Air shares or other skills are done during the dive. It's very seldom that I dont practice at least one skill during a dive.

I always do a buddy check. When I set up my gear I check it all myself, but do a buddy check as with WJL, a recital of all the gear in pockets, knives etc. Then we look each other over using BWRAF, and check regulators watching gauge etc. I also review hand signals if not dived together before. And that's usually the time when I mention anything else I feel the buddy should know about "just in case" for instance gear I haven't used before, or if my ear's feeling weird.
Last time I read some accident analysis, lack of buddy checks seemed to be quite a significant factor in general.

Back
Top Bottom