Koplin weighted STA for OMS IQ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColdH20diving

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Washington State - somewhere near Vancouver
I considering purchasing a Koplin weighted STA for my OMS IQ PAK. My current OMS STA works fine, I'd figured it would be an easy way to remove a few pounds from my weight harness to the rear of my rig. The Koplin STA is a couple inches shorter than the OMS STA, and it appears to have three tank band slots giving it a little more flexibility with band placement. I'd be interested in any comments from anyone who is using the Koplin STA on their OMS rig.

I have one on my OMS IQ, OMS wing and OMS SS BP and it works just fine. However, the length of the bolts could have been JUST a hair longer, as I don't believe his original design was engineered with the OMS IQ or Transpac II harness in mind - as they add some bulk to the backpack when bolting everything up - but there is enough to get the job done OK. Halcyon is now carrying Koplin's design - apparently, they purchased the rights from Koplin to make them themselves.

However, I like mine and the idea that I took off 6-7# off my waist as well. Its rock solid and made of very thick SS stock.

I have used Koplin's Weighted STA for over a year with both Halcyon wings and OMS wings just fine. With my SS BP I shaved 12# of my waist.

It allowed me to place about 55% of my weight on my back and 45% on my waist - no too bad of a distribution, I *think*

So far its worked out pretty well.

Have you gotten your Koplin STA yet and tried it out?

PS Oxy Chek has just announced their wing lineup and from what I hear its going to be a kick butt wing and priced accordingly. Patrick and Scott are a dynamic duo.

ColdH20diving once bubbled...
Thanks Scoobiedooo, looks like my OMS STA will be be headed to ebay. I was hoping OMS would come out with a weighted STA since they have a new SS backplate now.

You might not want to do that. I use one of Scott's weighted STA's when I dive in cold water, but when I travel and am using a 3mm shorty, I switch back to the unweighted STA. Personally, I'd prefer something a little lighter than the OMS STA, but until I get something like the Dive-rite plastic STA I'm going to hang on to the OMS.

Are you guys saying that if you install a weighted STA on Dive Rite TP or similar set up like SP S Teck for diving single, it will not only reduce few pound of your waist but also make the set up better due to better weight distribution?

If that so is it a rocommended set up for diving single with Back Pack type BC?

Thanks, interesting to know and try on.

Back
Top Bottom