Bali ATM scams

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick.r

Registered
Reaction score
I have ben in Bali 4 months now and use only BCA atms they say the best , well about 9 times since i have ben here it has kicked out my card and sed transaction taking to long or just try again , the last time it happened i got on the internet to look at my statement and found they took $ out of my account but did not give $ at the atm , i called BCA bank they told my not there problem to call my bank in the states even though they had my $ from a transaction witch i never got any $$ . hope this might help someone....

Thanks for the heads up.. We go to Bali on Tuesday - what ATMs would you recommend? Or just bring the cash with us?

Rick, Sorry to hear about your problems. So did they debit your account for all 9 times or only the last try? Not sure if the amount being contested is worth the trouble while you're trying to enjoy a holiday, but see if you can escalate this with their local branch manager (was the ATM located at at a branch)? Don't know how feasible it is, but if you still have your slip or know when the "transaction" took place, maybe they can cross check their ATM security cameras and ATM records. Or at least lodge the complaint with your local bank as soon as possibly so it can be contested when you get home.

I've personally used BCA (Bank Central Asia - one of the largest Indonesia) ATM's across the country without problems. Along with Bank Mandiri (largest gov't owned commercial bank), I think you'll find these two most frequently due to their size and national coverage.

Geoff, off hand, BCA, Mandiri, BII (Bank Internasional Indonesia), Panin are decent local banks. I would just suggest using ATM's that are located in major shopping areas or attached to branches and of course, obviously those that have signs for Plus or Cirrus :D.

In my travels around Asia, I haven't come across any ATM problems other than just the cases where the local network isn't connected to Plus or Cirrus. But I do admit, where possible I'll try locating a HSBC or Citi branch. Not sure if HSBC Indonesia has a Bali office (they do have a presence in the Jakarta area but that doesn't help you...)

Remember if you do bring cash to Indonesia (and you will need US $25 - in nice crisp clean notes - cash for the a visa on arrival (VOA) if you hold a passport that allows VOA (US, Canada, most of Western Europe etc) bring the newest cleanest US currency you can find.

Do not bring old , dirty, folded or torn US banknotes. They will be hard to change and may result in a lower rate. The large the denomination the better the exchange rate.
Often there are two ATMs at a bank, one give smaller denomination Indonesia banknotes, the other gives larger notes. Just ask anyone how to tell them apart.

Also save Indonesian money for the International Airport Departure Tax which is payable in Indonesia cash. Every airport is different, so ask upon arrival. It will be in the range of about US $10 or so depending on the airport and current rates. In Manado airport right after you check in turn around and you will see the stairs go upstairs and near the stairs is a counter where you pay the Indonesia cash to for departure tax and they stamp or put a sticker on your boarding pass.

Geoff , i have started using BII atm and has all ben ok, i would not bring much cash a lot of places do not like to take it , for it allways goes up amd down. hope it helps and have a great trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom