Seaquest Vs ScubaPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juls64

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have a ScubaPro LadyHawk. When I bought it I tried it on, It fit good. My LDS only stocked ScubaPro & Mares BCD's and there aren't really other shops very close by, so I went with it.

Now I am looking for a BCD for my daughter. At Our WorldUnderwater yesterday, she tried on Seaquest Libra and Diva LX. She really like the Diva and I must say I was impressed.

Holy Cow. The BCD is sooooo loaded compared to my LadyHawk. It has 2 big pockets, grommets to attach more stuff. The Sure-Lock weight system is really cool. There were at least 4 big stainless D-rings.

My Ladyhawk has one roll-up pocket, Is sparse on D-rings (and some of them are plastic.) It does have a nice handle on the backplate though.

Another thing is, retail on Ladyhawk is about $500 if I remember correctly. The Diva LX is about that much at LeisurePro, so I imagine it may be quite abit pricier in a LDS.

The moral of the story is to really shop around for your equipment, even if you have to drive around a little to do it.

Juls
:livid:

Agree with you there, or listen around for good reports.

I too have a sequest Diva and having only used hired equipment previously, was blown away by the difference... initially in the comfort, then once underwater, the semi wing, once you are used to is, is great to work with.

Sorry don't want to rub it in.

Some companies are offering a "try before you buy" system now, which is a great idea. :bidea:

I also have a ScubaPro LadyHawk. Only difference is that I had tried on the SeaQuest Libra and Diva. Neither of those fit me worth a darn so I have no regrets in terms of those BCs. Being designed for a woman, I think the problem was they attempt to comfortably accomadate breasts and hips, and I don't have much of either. The LadyHawk is better for me, but certainly not great. In order to get a good fit around my waist I had to go with a small. Being long wasited in addition to buttless, the cumberbun fastens in the middle of my stomach rather than just above my hips. In addition, because the two shoulder straps connect to the back of the bc rather than straight down (I think that is to avoid squishing boobs, which is only useful if there are boobs to squish) it is also difficult to get in and out of, and tighten down. In fact to get into it I have to release one of the shoulder straps and reattach it after positioning myself in the other strap. My LadyHawk only has two D-rings, both of which are metal. There are two black plastic loops which I use to tighten the chest straps, but I don't think they are designed to double as D-rings.

I tried on about 7 or 8 BCs before picking one (most were too big), but since then have learned there are tons more on the market. I'm not sure there is a great fitting BC for my size (Rodale's had a great article in which they list several characteristics that are currently lacking in women's BCs). Regardless, I would feel better if I had searched a bit longer before spending $500 on a BC that "will do" rather than one that I love. I also regret letting myself be guided to "woman's" BCs rather than just trying on everything I could get my hands on until I found the best match.

daughter, the female manager at the LDS I used told us not to buy a women's BC but to get a man's.

She gave us lots of reasons and also showed us hers, which was a man's.

My daughter now has an XS Scubapro classic.

My wife loves her Diva LX. Its all a matter of fit. For her figure the Diva LX is the best of the three or four she's owned recently

I love my Diva LX. It fits me just right.

DeputyDan once bubbled...
daughter, the female manager at the LDS I used told us not to buy a women's BC but to get a man's.

She gave us lots of reasons and also showed us hers, which was a man's.

My daughter now has an XS Scubapro classic.

I'd be interested in the reasons she gave. The only thing one I can think of would be fit. I know the men's BC's just didn't fit the same way as the women's did on me.

Peace,
Cathie

This reminds me of when they came out with womens soccer shoes. Having played for 13 years the narrower style & higher arch (also major problems for women buying fins) were much better than the boys/mens shoes I had worn before. There were only 2 kinds to choose from (vs. oodles of mens choices) but one was right for me.

I've been looking for a bc lately and I really like the way the womens models fit versus the mens. But thats my personal experience. I'm also a fairly "standard" size and shape- I wasn't blessed with huge boobs & a small butt ;-0 (vice versa would be closer to the truth).

We are all shaped differently and are probably looking for some different things in a bc based on our own preferences. Thats why, IMO it may work for some women to get a mans bc, others may be happier in one for women, and some may need to design their own via bp/wings.

Nicky

My wife uses a Diva, and everyone that has used it loves it. We live in the Bahamas and quite often dive with no exposure suit so it is perfect. I think if you are diving in a thick wet suit or dry suit it becomes less important.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom