My Sherwood vs Oceanic Story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juls64

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well I went to Our World Underwater in Chicago yesterday. Got to see the Sherwood Wisdom which my husband has been considering. It looked good.

Then we were at the Oceanic booth and saw the Proplus 2.

These are both console mounted computers by the way.

Well now we are considering the Oceanic as well. They are similar computers, but the selling point is the service at the Oceanic booth, The guy at the booth went through the full demonstration of the computer, was friendly, and knowledgeable. The guy at the Sherwood booth wasn't able to answer the one question my husband had about it. Also the Sherwood booth didn't have the computers out in a display. We got there, looked around and didn't see the Wisdom. When we asked, the sales guy said, "Oh theres one over there" And it was on the floor attached to a tank at the back of the booth. We found out that the other saleman carried one in his pocket, that he'd show you if you asked.

My husband is still leaning toward the Wisdom because of info he had previously, but after our experience and what we learned about the Oceanic, it isn't a done deal.

Thats my story.

Julie

Julie,

I have the Oceanic Proplus 2 and have been really happy with it. I honestly do not know anything about the Sherwood so I can't give you a comparison. What sold us on the Oceanic was the big numbers and simplicity. The quick-connect feature is nice too. Let us know what you decide.

She (or her husband) was originally considering the SHerwood Wisdom, and now, because they saw it at the show in Chicago, they are also considering the Pro Plus 2.

Julie, my vote would be for the Oceanic Pro Plus 2. Good improvement on the Pro Plus, and Oceanic computers are very nice, lots of features.

This new SHerwood computer kinda scares me. I will try to get some more info on them, I want to try one out first before I bash it...

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
She (or her husband) was originally considering the SHerwood Wisdom, and now, because they saw it at the show in Chicago, they are also considering the Pro Plus 2.

Julie, my vote would be for the Oceanic Pro Plus 2. Good improvement on the Pro Plus, and Oceanic computers are very nice, lots of features.

This new SHerwood computer kinda scares me. I will try to get some more info on them, I want to try one out first before I bash it...

Bashing the Wisdom would be like bashing the Pro Plus 2 because they are almost exactly the same computer (The Wisdom has a few more features.) The Wisdom is made for Sherwood by Pelagic the same company that makes the computers for Oceanic and Aeris.

I dive a Datamax Pro Plus right now and I am seriously thinking about switching over to the Wisdom. My Datamax is a beta model so it has a few years on it.

in order to see the Wisdom. Because of poor salesmanship at the Sherwood booth and fantastic salesmanship at the Oceanic booth, Sherwood could potentially lose a sale. That was pretty much the moral of my story.

He still likes the Wisdom, but now we know a lot more about the ProPlus 2.

Sorry for any confusion.

Julie

We had the same opinion of the Sherwood guy at the Chicago expo. He couldn't tell us anything about any of the equipment. We were also looking at computers and liked the Oceanic Pro Plus II, the Aeris AI and the Suunto Cobra. I've been trying to read impartial reviews of all the computers and based on what I've read, the Oceanic is just a lot less conservative with their dive times, deco stops/safety stops than both the Aeris and Suunto. So, although the Aeris and Oceanic are made by the same company, the algorithm for their dive profiles are different. The guys at all the other booths were great though. They ran through every feature with us and really new their products. I think we've decided to go with the Suunto but we're getting a little older and need to be a little more conservative with our diving now.

Glad to here someone elses opinion of the Sherwood booth. We thought it was just us!

Booges once bubbled...
based on what I've read, the Oceanic is just a lot less conservative with their dive times, deco stops/safety stops than both the Aeris and Suunto. So, although the Aeris and Oceanic are made by the same company, the algorithm for their dive profiles are different.

There could be more to the equasion, but I'm pretty sure they're all th same (Aeris, Oceanic and Sherwood). Scubadiving.com claims that they are in their tests. My LDS has all 3, and they all read the same for NDL when I put them into "plan" mode. They might handle a sawtooth differently and like you said deco/saftey stops are another part, but as far as basic down and back, they were all right on.

Back
Top Bottom