• No - I Can't Tell a Difference

Votes: 20 16.5%
  • Yes - I Think There is a Slight Difference

Votes: 34 28.1%
  • Yes - There is a Significant Difference

Votes: 51 42.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But after a 2 tank dive with air, I'm usually ready for a nap, but after the same dives with Nitrox, I'm still ready to go.

I guess they don't call it Geezer Gas for nothing! LOL!

If you are fatigued after air dives, it may be low level, subclinical DCS.

Nitrox will help to avoid these symptoms. So will deep stops.

I used to see a difference between nitrox and air, but once I started doing deep stops, the difference disappeared.

Charlie Allen

Except for me it was my speed of ascent....I noticed that I was exhausted after deeper dives (between 60 and 90 feet...not deep to a lot of folks on this board...but deep enough for me), and started to try and figure out why. My discovery was that I was just plain ascending to fast...now that I've addressed that, fatique isn't a problem after diving.

I'm sure NITROX helps with that as well, as other folks have stated.

Peace,
Cathie

I guess they don't call it Geezer Gas for nothing!

I notice a definite difference. I generally don't use nitrox on shallower dives and always ( well usually) do quite slow assents. Haven't paid close attention to deep stops but usually do a mulitlevel profile with fair amout of time at shallower level which I suppose would count as a deep stop

Charlie99 once bubbled...
If you are fatigued after air dives, it may be low level, subclinical DCS.

Nitrox will help to avoid these symptoms. So will deep stops.

I used to see a difference between nitrox and air, but once I started doing deep stops, the difference disappeared.

Charlie Allen

There are a number of factors that enter in along with what you mentioned, such as dive environment cold water vs. tropical, current, surface swim, age. I notice the effect the most during open water time with students, depth isn't a factor and ascent rates are conservative.

Doing just Nitrox makes a difference and doing deep stops makes a difference, but combining Nitrox and deep stops makes a major difference.
Several years from now the "scientific" community will develop enough data to substantiate what divers have figured out on their own. It will be a revelation to them but will be a validation to us.
DSAO,
Larry

I voted significant due to the cumulative effects of lessened fatigue and lessened CO2 headaches.An O2 bottle at 10' or on deck can have exact same results cheaper.

Most recreational dives are governed by gas consumption when on nitrox rather than NDLs so divers are less loaded when they leave the water.

If you dived air to, say, 50% of NDL and nitrox to 50% of NDL, you’d feel the same IMO (and IME).

IMO it comes from making another sell point for nitrox courses and most people will believe whatever they are taught by their instructor.

Back
Top Bottom