now what do I need for this system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Ok as some know I am planing to move into the Backplate /wing thing . anyway My brother has sent me A new Dive-rite SS Backplate and harness, he told me the rest i have to get so what all do i need my present system uses soft weights so i guess either some kind weight belt . and how do you attach a wings and tank to your plate ,
another is there some kind padding that goes in front that hard plate against you thanks all for the help .
I know I am totally stupid in this area but its will get better thanks

1. Wing. The wing gets sandwiched between the backplate and the tank. If you're diving doubles, the bolts on the tank bands go through the grommets on the wing and into the holes on the "raised" portion of the backplate. A couple of wing nuts finishes the job. If you're diving singles, you'll need a Single Tank Adapter (STA). It will bolt onto the backplate, or the tank straps will thread through the wing, STA and backplate, and around the tank. Either way, the tank holds the wing on the backplate.

2. There's a special kind of padding for a backplate. It's called an exposure suit. Honestly, once you get the backplate situated on your back, it'll be more comfortable in the water than a jacket-style BC with a hard backpack. It distributes the weight across your back much better than a jacket BC, which is one reason you don't need padding to begin with. Don't worry about how it feels when you put it on now. A thin suit will give you all the padding you really need. Or try a t-shirt if you're concerned about straps chafing in warm water.

Or you could get your backplate LINEX coated. It doesn't really need it. But that's how most of mine are done. It's a Bedliner coating. It's a little rough so when putting the backplate on, it doesn't slip around any. Softer on your back then metal. Doesn't get as cold or hot as Metal either.

Cost $20 to get done. Last's forever... I've had it on for 5 years. Looks new....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom