Suunto Mosquito VS. Citizen Hyper Aqualand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spray25

Contributor
Reaction score
It's time for a new watch. The old one (non-dive) is getting tattered and torn.

I want to get a dive watch this time around. It's primary purpose would be an everyday wear watch. It's secondary role would be as a backup depth gauge/timer when diving.

It is important to me to not have it be overly large. I actually like the looks of the Citizen better than the Mosquito, but the Mosquito has more function.

Anybody seen these side by side? How dow they compare in size to each other? I have not laid my hands on either one. I have only seen pics of them.

The Stinger is an AWESOME looking watch, but looks big and is above the budget.

Anyhow any input or suggestions on places to shop would be appreciated.

And kind of hard to compare as the Suunto is a dive computer, and a pretty good one at that. Makes for a nice back-up, especially if your primary is a Suunto, too. The black plastic doesn't look like much, but keeps the price down. The weight on your wrist, too.

The Citizen is a pretty good watch, I have scores of friends who use it in and out of the water. I went with a Citizen Aqualand Duplex as I use a Mac and had no use for the Windows software of the Hyper Aqualand (the software for the Mac is available somewhere on the web for a couple of bucks:) ). Also, I liked the analog/digital combo better than the digital display only. As a bottom timer/depth gauge either one will do, which should be fine as a back-up if know how to work the tables. :rolleyes:

The Suunto's backlight is better, the somewhat larger display is better, you can change batteries yourself when needed, it works as a timer, and costs about the same. I'd go for the Suunto just on the price/value alone.

Last year I bought a DiveRite Nitec+, which looks similar to the Mosquito. I like it as a back-up, it works well. I have since retired my Duplex. :D

Spray25 once bubbled...
It's primary purpose would be an everyday wear watch. It's secondary role would be as a backup depth gauge/timer when diving.

Mosquito can't work as backup depth gauge/timer because it doesn't have gauge mode.

I have the Citizen Hyper Aqualand and my son has the Suunto Stinger. The Stinger is a great dive computer with a good number of features.

The Citizen is a good watch also, but does not have all of the features of the Suunto. However, the Suunto costs almost 3 times the price of the Citizen.

I use the Citizen as a daily watch and as a dive backup to my Mares MC1. I got the Citizen and MC1 for less than the Stinger. The log software for the Citizen is easy to use and personally , the Stingers is also.

It's $50 to get the Citizens batteries and seals changed, while the Stingers will cost you $110.

Bottom line: if you are going to really use all of the features of the Stinger, it's a great dove computer. If not, it is very expensive. It's your dime. Hope this helps.

Enjoy the ride
:mean:

It does help, thank you.

I would love to have the Stinger. I'd love to have the stinger. I hate to admit it is mostly looks that makes me want it. It's a good looking watch/computer.

I have a hard time justifying the price of the Stinger to the boss, that's why I was looking at the Mosquito and Aqualand.

I'm leaning HEAVILY towards the mosquito. Although I do not need all of the computer functions it is not priced overly high and makes for one hell of a backup. I just wish it looked as good as the Stinger :)

Spray25 once bubbled...
I would love to have the Stinger. ... I'm leaning HEAVILY towards the mosquito.
If you like those, you'll really like this one!
E. itajara

Im want to buy a dive computer and I has 2 choices which one does everyone feel is a better buy?

Suunto Mosquito VS. Citizen Hyper Aqualand.

Thx.

I own a Mosquito and like it a lot. I have no experience with the Citizen so I cannot tell you which is better.

The citizen isn't a dive computer. If you need dive computer functionality (determining nitrogen loading, calculating NDL based on previous dives and surface intervals), you'll need to get the mosquito. The Hyper Aqualand will provide you with your profile (depth vs. time), max depth, water temp, dive time, etc. It's a very complete dive watch, but it's not a computer. Citizen does have a dive computer watch called the Cyber Aqualand, but as far as I know, it is not sold in the US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom