Certification requirements for Subic Bay diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splint

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning for a trip to Puerto Galera and Subic Bay next year. I chose those two locations for a number of reasons, firstly to be in places which have a reasonable nightlife as I expect to be traveling alone, also because they are within a close proximity of each other which make travel logistics a bit simpler, and also to get a mix of reef and wreck diving.

Now, getting back to the question at hand, I have nothing more than PADI Advanced Open Water Certification. Is that enough to get by on at Subic Bay? Any other tips or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Splint

Before the others jump in about being wreck certified, I think if you're a competent AOW, there are some dives you would enjoy in Subic without any deep penetrations or without having to go beyond 25m or so. My first dive on USS NY was a non penetration dive, just as an AOW and coming off of years of not diving. It was still an enjoyable dive to check out the wreck from the outside. I forget if it's the LST or another site, not so deep of a dive and there were large swimthrough's with sunlight/exit always in view. Just don't expect to be doing full penetrations of the wrecks or doing 50m wrecks with twins and deco tanks... :wink: Now if that's a path you're interested in, there is a good tech wreck instructor there if you want to dip your toes into tech diving and sign to up for an advanced nitrox course...

I went to Subic last Feb.. Before my trip I was told that a Nitrox cert. was advisable, as most of the dives were in the 80-90fsw range and nitrox was advisable. AOW is acceptable if you don't have a deep dive cert.. You can get the Nitrox cert. at your LDS, and if you need or would like a deep cert., you can get that in Subic or Puerto Galera, whichever you go to first.
I use Action divers while in Puerto Galera, and would suggest Boardwalk in Subic. there are others in both places.
You can't go wrong diving in the Philippines!!

The Nitrox Coarse will help you out in both PG and Subic. If you were to do one I would suggest that. There are a lot of dives in PG that Nitrox will benifit you tons. There is a high standard of shops in PG you can check out Action - Capt. Greggs - or Dive Dojo....They all offfer Nitrox and Wreck certs. as well...

I'd also recommend Nitrox and Wreck, if you wanted to get the most out of your dives here. However, the AOW certification is fine in respect of depth.

To really enjoy wrecks like the LST, aim towards diving twin-set with Nitrox.

The wrecks vary greatly for ease/safety of penetration...and the local DMs know where it is safe to take inexperienced wreck divers. But, if in doubt, stay out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom