compare different liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil

Reaction score
# of dives
Aqua Cat - Nekton Pilot - Cuan Law

Mchiapetto,

We were on the April 12th Aqua Cat and will be on the June 14th Nekton Pilot, and the Nov 5th Cuan Law..... we are also curious about the difference in the three, since they equal out about the same $$$$. ( +/_)

My dive shop owner here in Portland says the Nekton attracts a younger and more of a "party group" where as the AC might be slighty older and more hard core divers.....I can't really answer that question yet, but ask me after our June trip. I can tell you that were are in our late 40's early 50's and were were about in the middle of the age group for the AC.

Everyone told us to pack lite, and we did just that. We had all our dive gear in one large duffel bag ( 65lbs) and we took one medium carry on for our cloths. We spend 2 days in Nassau before and 2 days after, but basically we each took 3 suits, 2 shorts, 1 pr. sandels, 5 Tee shirts each, a couple pr. of underware, and our toilettries, sun glasses, sun lotion, motion pills, sudafed, and what we didn't have we did without. I packed my "Never Lost" and my digital camera and housing in a small carry on, along with our Regulators and our Rx masks. (just in case out luggage got lost)

From what we here the Cuan Law is more of a lay back cruise, with only 3 dives per day for 10 days and more outside activities, and since it is a sail boat, it will take longer to get to the different dive sights. More of a relaxing type of dive vacation.

We will see how they compare!
Phil

I've been on three different Nekton cruises - Belize, Cay Sal and So. Bahamas. None were populated by "party crowds" in the least - but the type of passengers depends on who books group trips. All passengers on my trips were serious about safe diving and the crew is VERY safety concientious.

If you have a large group trip comprised of partiers then of course it's going to turn into a party boat. You have to bring your own alcohol - none is served or sold by Nekton staff but their shuttle vans do make a stop at a liquor store before boarding the boat so you don't have to travel with your stash.

Most of the passengers were 30's to early 50's from all over the US and Canada. There were occaisional beers and glasses of wine after night dives - or earlier for those no longer diving for the day but never any big drinkers on board. They enforce a very stern policy: your first drink means you are no longer diving for rest of day and night.

I'm curious to see what you think once you've been on all three charters as my live-aboard experience is limited to only Nekton - so far.

Hi

I traveled on the Nekton Rorqual last July on the Bahamas Adventure trip. I had a great time. I was traveling as a single female. I told them I would double up if needed (otherwise it was an $800 single supplement). I lucked out and got my own cabin. The crew was great. They helped you with any request. Sometimes if the person I ended up buddying with dove with another single diver, they sent someone from the crew with me and they were excellent. The meals were fantastic. Regarding any boat noises, after a full day of diving, I slept through anything. The only noise that briefly woke me up is the sound of the mooring line being drawn back in where the chain rattled against the side of the boat. The only complaint I heard was that the on board film processing lab screwed up the first several rolls of film that people had processed. Luckily it wasn't mine. I enjoyed the cruise so much, I'm contemplating taking the Cay Lobos trip next summer.

I love this web site. The information is so helpful.

Laurena:)

Our Pilot (Belize) trip in Jan. was mainly people in their 40s and 50s.
Our Rorqual (Cay Lobos) trip last week was one couple in their 30's a couple of Doctors in their 30's and us old farts again. :) (40-50s) And three folks in their 70s.

There was some beer and wine consumed, but really no partying.

STOP IT!!!

STOP IT NOW!!!!

We still have 16 days till departure on the Rorqual for Cay Sal. It will be our first liveaboard and we are REALLY looking forward to it. Its eating me up! I just hauled all our gear out into the driveway to inventory and ensure it was clean.

Tomorrow we will be taking a dip in the pool to make sure the newly overhauled regs are working right, and then down to Venice on Saturday for some sharks teeth hunting. After that, I will STILL have to wait 2 weeks before we go on our trip.

NEVERMIND!!!

Post it all here. I want to hear all about it. The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Thanks.

Oh, I have a decent DVD collection. They told me they have a DVD player on the Rorqual. Is it worth bringing them? Do people want to watch movies in the evening or is it just sit around and tell sea stories?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom