Hawaii live aboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JAIMITO

New
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows of a live aboard in Hawaii that stops at multiple islands, specifically from Maui to Kauai, possibly via Oahu. Going on honeymoon in Maui and Kauai and thought that a couple of days on a live aboard might be a great way to get from island to island!

Thanks,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a live aboard in Hawaii that stops at multiple islands, specifically from Maui to Kauai, possibly via Oahu. Going on honeymoon in Maui and Kauai and thought that a couple of days on a live aboard might be a great way to get from island to island!

Thanks,

nope.. the Kona Aggressor is the only scuba liveaboard in the Hawaiian islands and it does the Kona (Big Island) coast for the week, Saturday to Saturday. Aggressor Fleet | The ultimate in live-aboards since 1984
There are cruise ships that go from one island to the next though.

robin:D

The channels between most of the islands are very rough. Any small boats including a liveaboard would result in a puke fest for most passengers.

Notice there are no ferrys!!!!

The channels between most of the islands are very rough. Any small boats including a liveaboard would result in a puke fest for most passengers.

Notice there are no ferrys!!!!

uh....actually there are a couple of ferrys operating interisland with the major "Superferry" between Oahu and Maui. (i'd post the links but i don't have that ability yet) i believe the "Superferry" tried adding service to other islands, but probably didn't get much business with the airline competition and the arrival of Go! now with the economy as it is, who knows what their future holds.

to the OP, obviously flying between islands would not really be an option unless you have a lot of time. the ferrys would give you an option to dive on two ore more islands without the altitude issue. the only major issues you may have are traveling through the HNL airport depending on your destination. the interisland terminal can be quite busy at times.

with careful planning though, you can arrive into Maui. Dive around that island, Molokini crater and visit Molokai. you can google the Molokai ferry, which provides service between Maui and Molokai. back on Maui, you can catch the Superferry to Honolulu and dive around Oahu. from there, you would have to fly to another island...Kauai or Hawaii, aka the big island, are popular choices.

the big island offers the manta ray night dive, but you may also do that on Maui. Kauai dive operations also offer trips to the island of Niihau, so if quantity is what you are seeking, that is a consideration; but be advised they only provide the Niihau trips a few months out of the year due to rough crossings. And based on your post, Kauai would be your option.

obviously, flying would require you loose a day of diving so most people just stay on one island and dive. congrats on the wedding! and have fun diving.

Diving in Hawaii is cool - take it from me, I've lived and dived here for over 8 years. Oahu is where to go to see wrecks, but if you really want the good vis, healthy reefs, sharks, whales, and steep drop offs......go to Kona. That's why Aggressor decided to place their liveaboard at the Big Island (Kona side). If you ask any regular diver on the big island (who lives there), you won't find too many divers there that take vacations to the other islands because they know they've got the best diving right off of the Kona coast. Do the Kona Aggressor and if time and funds permit, hit a quick dive on Oahu, Maui or Kauai on your way home - the Big Island is where it's at!

My wife and I did the Kona Aggressor last July and I have to agree, the diving is fabulous there. We are ready to go back anytime. Reef sharks, Octopi, Turtles, Hammerheads, Mantas, lots of good macro stuff, dramatic lava formations, spinner dolphins. Kona has a lot to offer.

John Pierce

A group of us are planing a aggressor trip there in jan 1
2010, can you give us idea of water temp, would a 3mm suit be ok, or shorty...anything else you would rec us planning for?? rough seas that time of year?

We did our trip on the Kona Aggressor the week of July 4, 2008. The water was averaging 76-78 degrees, seas were very calm. I wore a 3mm full suit, my wife wore a 5mm with hood because she tends to get cold. That seemed to be a trend on our trip, most of the guys were in 3mm suits, but it's definitely a bit cooler water than say, Cayman or Belize. I would think it might be low 70's in the winter, for me that's still a 3mm, but I might wear a hood.

Plan to gain weight, they feed you *very* well on that charter; it's somewhat known for it's cuisine among liveaboards. At the end of the trip, we took a side tour to see Volcano National Park on the other side of the island -- spectacular!

Hawaii / Kona Underwater

Hawaii / Kona on the boat and land excursions

Cheers,
JP

I just did the Kona Aggressor this Xmas. The boat is very nice, the crew was fabulous, and the diving highly enjoyable. Most everyone on the boat was wearing 5mm, and some wore 7mm. The water was cool, and after several dives it really starts to feel it so dress warm if you get cold like me. :)

I can't recommend the KA enough.

Hey John, Great photos from Kona. I've been on the Kona Aggressor twice, and plan to return. It was fun to see all of your uw shots as well as the boat and land tour pics.
Marta

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom