Interested in diving Sombrero Island I think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjjj111

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I hear Sombrero Island is a great place to dive. Is this a great place to go? Or not? Are there better places around in this area?

Planning to go in Feb 2009.

Should I do a live aboard or is this not necessary?

Sombrero Island in Batangas? That's Anilao area. Sombrero is a nice place to dive. Lots of great dive sites in Anilao.

Liveaboard is not necessary. Day trips from Manila are normal in Anilao, staying overnight is better. Try searching Anilao in this forum - it'll bring up tons of info on the area.

Any dive companies you can recommend?

Day trips from Manila are normal in Anilao??? do you mean there are companies that will drive you from Manila to Anilao area, then go diving for the day and they drive you back to Manila?

is that what you mean?

Any dive companies you can recommend?
We get this question all the time. Your profile and post is a bit void of information. If you could provide us with a bit more info about yourself and your trip, the quality of advice given to you will be better. Where are you from, how long is your trip (are you on business hoping to do a couple dives or are you going on a vacation), and what is your budget is a good start.

Day trips from Manila are normal in Anilao???
yes.

do you mean there are companies that will drive you from Manila to Anilao area, then go diving for the day and they drive you back to Manila?

is that what you mean?

Actually most of the day trippers are local divers based in Manila. So they have their own cars. Diving is resort based (that offer day passes).

check out this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/philippine-paradise-divers/266201-transportation-manila-anilao.html

It's just a couple threads down from this one. A forum search about anilao will yield more results.

the current in Sombrero island sometimes is a little strong though (well, the few times i did the dives there)...but man, the macro stuff you can see there...

rj, Zee (Zeeman in SB) is coming to PI late January and will be diving Anilao first week of February... if you are here by then, it would be awesome if we can dive with you..

where are the absolute best place to dive in PI? I heard Beasley reef was great...

what is your opinion? I would like to see the best while I was there....

let me know......thanks.

where are the absolute best place to dive in PI? I heard Beasley reef was great...

what is your opinion? I would like to see the best while I was there....

let me know......thanks.
hmmmm... kinda like walking into mario batali's kitchen and asking "what's the best pizza you got?"

beazley is in tubbataha - w/c is probably the best local diving - but that's only accessible via liveaboard for 3 months of the year (www.expeditionfleet.com)

anilao and PG are popular dive destinations near manila and are renowned for their macro and marine life

bohol has amazing walls...

malapascua is the ONLY place on earth where you can dive with thresher sharks at recreational depths...

coron and subic bay feature WWII wrecks at recreational depths (more wrecks in coron)...

sogod bay has pristine coral growth...

and there's many more... what exactly are you looking for?

Jag

alot of great ideas...thanks.

what am i looking for? honestly i do not know.

I plan to come to PI Feb 2009 or March 2009, likely late Feb thou.

I do not know anything about the area of PI.

I thought i would ask around and try the dive and see things i would not see anywhere else in the world. this may be a 1 time trip so i want to make the most of it.

since you live in PI, where or what dive(s) do you think would want to go on if it were you?

i would like to see some big animals and great corals if i could.

Search for Bohol (alona, balicasag) for all around big things and for whale sharks search for Sogod Bay (I'm pretty sure they're still there in feb, but I could be wrong). Donsol is another place you could go to snorkel (not dive) with whalesharks around that time. Malapascua is another choice to see threshers and mantas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom