Departure to fantasy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fsa

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
"the science fiction of today is the reality of tomorrow"

I just watched the "special edition" version of "The Abyss" (BTW I highly recommend it), which goes a little deeper into the water people issue in the movie. The message of the original was pretty much about saturation diving, crisis, HPNS, and finally rescue by a race of water people (with a strong other-world-life-form implication). The new special edition shows the water folk as having been on the earth a long time, just deep, and in posession of quite impressive technologies. I love watching it, but then I'll watch anything that has to do with being under the surface.

Now - one thing shown there was "liquid breathing". Of course, we know that liquid breathers have a one-way trip with gills that allow them to filter gasses from the water, while gas breathers have a two-way trip with alveoli where gas exchange occurs across a mucous membrane. The chemical process in air-breathers is a simple diffusion of excess CO2, while O2 exchange is a little more complicated. pH controlling the affinity of binding sites in the hemoglobin molecule and all that. While we may find liquids that support requisite exchange properties for CO2 and O2, gas-breathers are just not built for the additional work required to move sufficient quantities of liquid.

Needless to say the method shown in the movie is impossible; immersion of one's entire head in the liquid and inhaling same would be far too dirty for our lungs to tolerate.

I've seen references to special circumstances where a closed loop liquid has been used successfully, with mechanical support. Premature babies, for example, do better because their lungs are under-developed. Also burn victims, and of course the numerous unlucky animals who fall victim to the various tests. I shudder to think of drowning poor furry creatures, but that's another issue.

As for liquid breathing, I am quite sure all that would be quite uncomfortable They say drowning is one of the more unpleasant ways to die. And the sensations would be pretty much identical. But having said all that - if, one day, this were possible, would that not be just the coolest thing to do?

Heck, I'd just settle for one of those James Bond gadgets the size of a pen that he pulls out of his pocket and will breath for several minutes. :cool2:

Heck, I'd just settle for one of those James Bond gadgets the size of a pen that he pulls out of his pocket and will breath for several minutes. :cool2:

Man, that's so sixties. I think "Q" has probably come up with a rebreather version by now.

fsa : you might wanna read the following...

Liquid breathing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Perfluorocarbon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Total liquid ventilation, however, has difficulty moving enough liquid to carry away CO2, because no matter how great the total pressure is, the amount of partial CO2 gas pressure available to dissolve CO2 into the breathing liquid can never be much more than the pressure at which CO2 exists in the blood (about 40 mm of mercury (Torr))."

Soooooo.... it's still science fiction.

Clark

... it 'sorta' works... check the bottom of the page.

I like the ones the Jedi had in Episode 1.

Clark

... it 'sorta' works... check the bottom of the page.

Leland is referred to in both wikipedia articles. I think.

The only way he got a mouse to survive 20 hours, was to induce hypothermia. And we're talking about a small rodent with a much, much slower metabolic rate.

At this time, breathing liquids cannot efficiently remove carbon dioxide from our bloodstream.

Blood can't dissolve enough oxygen to supply us...so we put hemoglobin (in red blood cells) in the blood to increase transport. I see no theoretical barrier to using the same trick (a carbon dioxide source/sink) in the breathed fluid to overcome the carbon dioxide solubility problem.

If a mouse -- even a hypothermic mouse -- can do it, it might be possible for us. Mice have about ten times *higher* a metabolic rate than we do, calculated per gram of tissue. I don't know how low you can get a mouse's metabolic rate without killing it, but I rather doubt it's a 90% decrease from its resting rate.

Back
Top Bottom