Ice Diving with wet suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henj

Registered
Reaction score
Is it realistic to consider ice diving with a 7 mm wet suit? or.. a 3 mm wet suit with a 7 mm over it? Has anyone ever tried this?

I would consider it an amazingly stupid thing to do. But maybe, thats just me.

that's what I was thinking but I don't have a dry suit just yet. thought maybe I could fake it.

that's what I was thinking but I don't have a dry suit just yet. thought maybe I could fake it.

Not worth faking it.

I have heard of people using 7mm Jacket and farmer john's (ie 14mm on your core), but I wouldn't do it. (The outside air temp would have to be high or it would be all bad.)

I use the best underwear for my drysuit and electric heat...and it is still darn cold.

With adequate surface support, such as a heated shelter in close proximity to the hole, I would say it's doable for a single dive. I see plenty of folks diving wet in the early spring around here when the water is still in the 30's, but I personally won't dive wet in anything cooler than about 65.

We're doing a New Years dive tonight (under water at midnight) needless to say we'll all be dry.

With adequate surface support, such as a heated shelter in close proximity to the hole, I would say it's doable for a single dive.

Doable? Define doable.

Survival?

Sure its doable. But it isn't smart. and it wouldn't be fun, but if all you want is to say you "did it" and get your badge....yep, its doable.

Is it realistic to consider ice diving with a 7 mm wet suit? or.. a 3 mm wet suit with a 7 mm over it? Has anyone ever tried this?

Just... No.

Believe me, you want to wait until you have a drysuit.

R..

There are some people who have a tolerance to cold that would allow them to dive icy water in a wetsuit comfortably. If you're one of those people. . . knock yourself out.

For the other 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999% of us, it's just a sure fire way to get to experience hypothermia first hand.

BTW, for all of you fact checkers out there, I made that percentage up.

I have ice dove in 37C water with a 5mil full suit and a 7 mil over vest, dive lasted about 20 mins I was not cold when I got out jumped in the back of a truck and they drove me back to the cabin with a big fire I was never freezing maybe a little cold.

Another important fact is the out of water conditions like air temp and is there a wind, also the depth of dive if you are in neoprene. The coldest I have felt was diving with a 4 mil compressed neoprene drysuit with underwear in 40C water, when I got out the air temp was a little above freezing with a strong wind I froze my you know whats off, gave up on the second dive when we tried to pick up our tank they had actually froze to the bench.

Doable? Define doable.

Survival?

Sure its doable. But it isn't smart. and it wouldn't be fun, but if all you want is to say you "did it" and get your badge....yep, its doable.

During a class I conducted 2 years ago (we were all dry) there was another group at the same site with three guys in wetsuits and 4 or five in drysuits. Granted it was late season, air temp was 40-50f all weekend and the ice was breaking up less than a week later, but it looked to me as if everyonoe in that group had a good time.

Back
Top Bottom