Help Identify a Sherwood Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GatorCT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I picked up this reg recently. Unfortunately she had little information beyond the fact that it had been recently serviced, and that it'd been only used for 3 dives. My thought that if it was indeed a Sherwood, it'd make a good backup, or could be used for my wife -- warm water rec dives only.
I don't recognize it as a Sherwood, or at least nothing in the current product catalogs. it looks to be in excellent shape. I've (hopefully..) managed to attach image files of the reg, 1st and 2nd stage. Does anybody recognize this as an Oasis. What's an "Oasis +"? Should I keep it, or retire it?
Peter

Attachments

• Unknown Sherwood reg 1.JPG
    Unknown Sherwood reg 1.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 147
  • Unknown Sherwood reg 2.JPG
    Unknown Sherwood reg 2.JPG
    307.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Unknown Sherwood reg 3.JPG
    Unknown Sherwood reg 3.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 101
It's an older Sherwood. I'm still diving an old 2000 which is even older than the Oasis. So long as it's in good working order, no reason not to use it.

That was my thought also. I'd feel better knowing that parts are readily available, and get an idea of how old it is. I was also kind of looking for a model equipped with an adjustable air supply. Although my wife only dives warm water recreational dives, the variable supplies are really useful below 65-70 ft.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Happy New Year!

It's an older Sherwood. I'm still diving an old 2000 which is even older than the Oasis. So long as it's in good working order, no reason not to use it.

I don't know about the Oasis, my regs breath just fine at 100' without any fancy adjustments :wink: I'd give it a try and see how they breath for you.

The Sherwood Oasis+ is a classic. I dive one regularly though I own newer regs. Handles cold nicely (51 degree water today for 96 minutes on this reg). It is a great breather, comfortable in the mouth, fairly bullet proof. My one question though, I'm not sure that the first stage is original to the Oasis+. It looks like a newer first stage, maybe Oasis2. That's not bad though, that was also a good reg (got one of those too).

Also, the "adjustable air supply" thing.... I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not saying that the adjustment feature is just a "gimmick", but with a quality reg even w/o the adjustment I doubt that you would notice the difference. Many folks (OK most) probably do not really use these adjustments much on dives. This reg is old school Sherwood (my favorite) produced before the company went through changes (though I am willing to give their new SR-1 a shot). American made when this meant something. The old school Sherwood motto was "So Simple, It's Ingenious" . I've had this reg down to "let's just say way deep below rec. limits" and it holds up to other top of the line regs. Heck you may find yourself diving this reg rather than your new top of the line current model with bells and whistles. However, if it doesn't work as advertised, have it serviced again. I've had people swear to me that regs that were recently serviced and had only two dives on them since being serviced (4 years ago:shakehead:). For a good assessment, unscrew the cover to the second stage. How do the internal metal parts look? Heavy corrosion? Forget it. Not much, service and ENJOY!

Hi,
Sorry, I lost track of this thread. I did take your advice, and peeked inside the second stage. It looks clean as a whistle. I'm going to try hooking it up to my octo hose, and compare it to my Aqualung Titan LX and see how they compare.
I really like the fact that the design seems bullet proof. I'd like to learn how to do some of my own basic service, because the local LDS kills me everytime I bring anything in.
Thanks for the reply and advice.
Peter

Also, the "adjustable air supply" thing.... I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not saying that the adjustment feature is just a "gimmick", but with a quality reg even w/o the adjustment I doubt that you would notice the difference. Many folks (OK most) probably do not really use these adjustments much on dives. This reg is old school Sherwood (my favorite) produced before the company went through changes (though I am willing to give their new SR-1 a shot). American made when this meant something. The old school Sherwood motto was "So Simple, It's Ingenious" . I've had this reg down to "let's just say way deep below rec. limits" and it holds up to other top of the line regs. Heck you may find yourself diving this reg rather than your new top of the line current model with bells and whistles. However, if it doesn't work as advertised, have it serviced again. I've had people swear to me that regs that were recently serviced and had only two dives on them since being serviced (4 years ago:shakehead:). For a good assessment, unscrew the cover to the second stage. How do the internal metal parts look? Heavy corrosion? Forget it. Not much, service and ENJOY!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom