P weight (channel weight) idea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm interested in making a P weight (channel weight for a backplate) to make up for my recently departed STA, and to add an extra pound or two that I'm lacking at the moment. I find that with a drysuit I get into a head-down attitude easily in the water (not so much floaty feet - I wear gators anyway), but just where my center of gravity happens to fall even with my tank mounted "aft" - so I'm thinking of making a P weight for just the bottom half of my backplate, to help counteract this tendancy, with the aim of giving me better trim.

Has anyone cast a P weight before with an integrated wingnut in it, so I could mount it using the lower bolt on the wing? Talking singles rig here, I would not be using it with doubles. The pictures of P weights I've seen on the web all look to be centered on the backplate, in between the 11" bolt holes - I want to mount one just in the bottom of the channel. Hoping to get 3 or 4 pounds in there. So I'm thinking that if I took a spare bolt, put it through the hole in the backplate, and screwed a wingnut onto it (sealing up any gaps with plumbers putty), I could pour the P weight into the channel around the in-situ wingnut, and then unscrew and discard the used bolt once it's cooled, leaving the wingnut permanently molded into the P weight. Then I could reassemble the rig with the normal bolt, and just tweak it with a screwdriver to hold everything in place - I no longer break my rig down to take the wing off the backplate for cleaning, so it could stay in place until I next need to dive doubles.

any thoughts?

Fredt made me a full length p-weight(channel weight) with molded in wing nuts.It work great and can be bolted in or retained with the cam bands. I made a channel weight for a buddy of mine and was pretty easy to do even with molding in the wing nuts. If you want any pics of my fredt set up let me know. I also made another channel weight for my self to use with doubles till i save up some more money for a fredt 3/8 plate sometime down the road.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
...that'd work.

BTW... are you diving Jets/Turtles or something floaty?
Black TwinJets, which are negatively buoyant. Using gators as well - I don't have a problem with floaty feet, my center of gravity is just too far forward, and I can't move my tank any lower in the cam bands to compensate without screwing my hose routing. My tank is a LP95, but it's a Dolphin, which is -10/-3, and I think the tank is half of the problem - when I dive with a rental LP80, I don't have the same trim issues. I just need more weight around my waist, and I ain't getting a weightbelt! Love those ACB+s :wink:

...that'd work.

BTW... are you diving Jets/Turtles or something floaty?

Its kind of funny.Im the complete opposite with my legs always wanting to sink. If i wear anything over about 5lbs in my weightbelt i get feet heavy. Luckily i am trimmed out pretty good and neutral with 4lbs in my belt. Its amazing the difference an undergarment makes.I dropped about 4lbs when i switched from my Bare ct-200 thinsulate undergarment to my polar fleece made by Janice and still stay warm.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Black TwinJets....Love those ACB+s :wink:
Now I remember... :D

We wouldn't want you to go with the obvious and switch to a weight belt and manly solid rubber fins.

Well... how's 'bout a crab pot float tied to your tank valve to give that extra compensation you seem to be needing. :D

BTW: it's "Janice" :wink:

We wouldn't want you to go with the obvious and switch to a weight belt and manly solid rubber fins.
Hate weightbelts, XL Jets are too small, and Turtles are too big

:upset:

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Hate weightbelts, XL Jets are too small, and Turtles are too big
... well I could send you a crab pot buoy... would you like the large red & white one or small yellow one?

... well I could send you a crab pot buoy... would you like the large red & white one or small yellow one?
Which one do you think would go best with my grey drysuit and white tank?

:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom