Dual Strobes -- Primary -- Ready-Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vaq

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to purchase a DS160 (4060) (w/charger (4066)), DS51 (4044), SA-100s (4086.61) with the 4103.52 connector (housing to 2 DS), which will be connected to a Canon XTi housing. From previous threads and the Ikelite site it looks like the remote sensor was discontinued and the EV controller is not necessarily recommended for this configuration. Wanted to confirm this is the best recommendation and setup. Also, have a question regarding the 4103.52 to ensure I understand setup and operation. Below is an exceprt from from the Ikelite FAQs. Do I understand correctly that if I use the DS160 as the primary, then on the 4103.52, there will be a connector with a red band that I should connect the DS51? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Which is the Primary Strobe?

The camera can not receive ready-light information from two strobes. If you turn "off" one of the strobes when two are connected, it must be the strobe that is connected to the "non-ready-light" secondary connector identified by the red band. Logic would indicate red for the primary side, but Ikelite has it backwards, putting the red band on the secondary side. This should help you remember.

If you are connecting to an Ikelite housing for the Canon XTi, you will definitely need the dual sync cord. Usually I would recommend connecting the red banded end of the sync cord to the DS51 but it could be connected to either. Set the circuitry in the housing to "DS51" for the most accurate exposure when using both strobes together.

I would highly recommend purchasing a DS160 package (which includes arm, charger, and single sync cord) and then purchasing the DS51 strobe, arm and dual cord as individual units. Buying the package essentially gets you a single sync cord at half price to use as a spare. So you would buy:

#3944.90 DS160 package (includes #4103.51 cord, #4066.1 charger, 4086.61 arm)
#4044.1 DS51 strobe
#4086.61 SA-100 Arm
#4103.52 Dual Cord

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Thanks Jean, having the spare makes sense and will go that route. I appreciate the help and guidance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom