Weight configuration and trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I recently switched from a BCD to a steel backplate and wing, in preparation for moving on to doubles, and I am working out some of the kinks with the new gear, trying to find what works best for me.

Right now I'm using weight pockets on my cam band, but I'm finding that I'm not really comfortable making my gear even heavier. I'm a petite, lightweight diver and I may feel more stable, both in the water and on the surface, when I add the weight to my body instead of trying to struggle around with it on my back.

I'd like to hear whether everyone prefers to wear their weight on their body (on a weight belt or on their harness) or in a weight pocket on their cam band (either upper or lower.)

Well, if you are considering moving to doubles, throw out any concerns about making the gear heavier :)

I'm 5'4" and 120 lbs. For singles, I dive an LP95. With a SS BP, I use 18 lbs on a belt, and 6 pounds in camband weights. I use weight pockets, and I put the weights in only just before donning the rig, so all hauling and lifting is done before the additional weight is added (and before I put the canister light on, too.) I need the 6 lbs to trim out correctly. Although I can remain horizontal while swimming gently with all the weight on a belt, if I stop (and particularly if I get distracted while stopping) I'll tilt feet down. The 6 lbs balances me, and to me, that makes them essential.

With doubles, I still use a 16 lb weight belt.

You need to separate the concepts of total weight and weight distribution.

At some point you should do a bouyancy check to establish the correct amount of ballast needed for your configuration.

After that, experiment with the placement of the weights to optimize trim. It isn't a matter of adding weights, but of relocating them appropiately.

I had weight in pockets on the top camband for a while, and found it quite unbalancing out of the water. It was easier to climb in and out once I moved them to the lower camband. On land, weight is easiest for me to manage on a weightbelt, but I need to spread it around for trim UW. But if I had a steel BP to go with my steel tank, I would put all the rest on the belt.

depending on your backplate, you can get a in ridge weight pouch for the bp. there you add (i think 7lbs) of weight to the backplate in the ridge section of it, so it just feels like you have a heavier bp, and u dont have to worry about the cam weights throwing u off balance!

You can also purchase flat weight plates that bolt onto your BP, that will keep the weight right on your back rather than on top of the tank. And some single tank adapters take an optional weight as well, I believe the standard is six more pounds. I have a twelve pound STA, I have no idea how many undergarments I would need to justify a six pound BP and twelve pounds of STA, but we'll see.

Prior to getting a steel BP, I had aDivRite TransPac that had no weight at all. I purchased some of those rounded "bullet" weights and threaded them onto the cam bands such that they would rest between the tank and my back. This trimmed very nicely. I used 4x two pounds each, one on each side of the two cam bands.

So...

In summary I am suggesting that witha single tank there are ways to add weight to the back plate and keep that weight right next to your back.

Don't forget that the harness needs to be sized correctly to position the backplate. Placement of the backplate will affect your trim as well.

V-weights go between the tanks in a doubles configuration. There are flat weights that can be fastened to the backplate.

Once you determine the total amount of weight needed, you need to determine your center of gravity. Then pile up most of the weight on top of it as possible. You don't need much lead to get in trim if you know where you center of gravity is and the lead is placed there.

To my knowledge, the only flat weights you can buy to add to a backplate are Tobin's, and they only work on DSS plates. Does anybody know of any different ones? I've seen other strategies, including using zip ties to affix ankle weights to the edge of the plate, and of course, weighted STAs. I like the camband weights, simply because I CAN take them out and put them back on, to make the rig easier to manhandle in and out of boats and cars.

I guess how much trim weights on cam bands effect stability depends on your rig. I dive a Halcyon backplate with a Eclipse wing and STA. I use 2 Halcyon trim pockets on the upper cam band w/one 2lb hard weight in each pocket. With both trim pockets slid up against the side of the STA it places the weight pretty much flush to the backplate and under the tank. So, like the bullet weight suggestion, I have no issues with the extra weight causing instability. If you're rig doesn't use an STA, or the STA is to thin to do this, I could see how stability might be an issue. If you're putting the trim pocket or weight on the tank opposite the backplate, I can definitely see this causing a balance issue. Also, for my body type, "floaty" upper body and "sinky" lower body, using any weighting method that moves the weight toward my lower body (like a weight belt), would just cause a head-up trim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom