Making the Most Out of One Week in Manila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Illumita

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All. I am headed to Japan in October and considering doing a hop over to the Philippines for one week for some diving. How can I make the most out of just one week flying in and out of Manila? What are nearby decent places to dive? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

agree with caloy: PG would be very easy to get to and will have enough of a nightlife to keep you occupied for almost a week...

if you're looking to doing a dedicated dive trip (over a week) you can fly to any of the country's visayas or mindanao hotspots (for diving) and spend a good 4-5 days leaving you enough time to offgas and make your inter-island flight connections

bohol, cebu, palawan, coron, davao, gensan, and dumaguete are all viable options for a good few days of diving

Jag

just FYI there are flights to and from Japan to Cebu as well, if you're not restricted to flying into Manila. But Caloy's recommendations are good.

Hi All. I am headed to Japan in October and considering doing a hop over to the Philippines for one week for some diving. How can I make the most out of just one week flying in and out of Manila? What are nearby decent places to dive? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

How long will you be in Japan? Are you going to live? work? vacation?

With only a week, you won't really have a lot of time to move around. I would recommend taking longer than a week if you really want to dive the Philippines... I live in Japan and I try to go for at least 2 weeks when I go, 3 is better :) I'll be making my 4th trip in less than two years this April :D A longer trip gives you the opportunity to see more than one area.

However if a week is all you've got, I concur with everyone else. I'd recommend a week in PG (Puerto Galera: Diving Philippines, Hotels and Dive Resorts) or a week in Anilao (underwater.com.au | Article | All at Once - Anilao, Philippines) which are on opposite sides of the Verde Island Passage from one another (CDNN :: Verde Island Passage - Center of Center of Marine Biodiversity). If you want some nightlife, then PG. If you like a more "laid-back" vibe, then Anilao. Diving is great in both places. To really explore either area I would recommend at least 4 days (that's 4 days at 4 dives a day :wink:). Both sides have lot's of nudibranchs, scorpionfish, lionfish, frogfish, sweetlips, octopus,.... the usual suspects :D

Depending on what time your flight gets in, you may not dive the first day, and you'll need a day to off-gas at the end of course. When I was in PG in June, I also rented a motorcycle for a day of sightseeing before I left.

One thing to consider is that October is still typhoon season. Weather can be iffy. Just something to keep in mind. I've been to the Philippines during typhoon season and always been lucky. Usually you won't miss to much and a lot of times if weather does get a little rough, there will still be areas that are diveable (unless we're talking about a direct hit, then I say hang out at the bar till it's over :D)

You will need to keep an eye on the weather though. You wouldn't want to get stuck in PG and not make your flight :)

You could also fly into Cebu and transfer direct to Malapascua for some great diving there. Malapascua is known for Thresher Sharks of course (Malapascua Exotic Island Dive & Beach Resort Diving in the Philippines - Dive Philippines with Sea Explorers enjoy visayas island hopping) You can also see manta rays :) Mandarinfish are another big attraction and I also saw everything from whitetip reef sharks, to pygymy seahorses, to nudibranchs during my trip there :)

There are direct flights between Tokyo and Cebu, but you'll need to check the schedule. Manila has the most flights and is easiest to fly in and out of when taking direct flights from Japan.

You can do a search here on scubaboard and check out some of the trip reports that have been written about these areas if you want to hear a little more first-hand information as well.

No matter where you decide, I'm sure you'll have fun :)

Thanks so much for all the info! I'll be visiting my parents in Japan, so it's not possible for me to take more than a week in the Philippines. I'll check out Cebu, it looks amazing!

If you fly into Manila: Anilao (3 hrs land), PG (3 hrs land, 1 hr boat), or Subic (3 hrs land) are some of your well known choices.

If you fly into Cebu: Mactan (20 mins land), Malapascua (3-4hrs land, 40 min boat), Moalboal (3 hours land), Dumaguete (3.5-4 hrs boat), Alona in Bohol (2 hrs boat, 25 min land) are some of your well known choices.

Both sides have lot's of nudibranchs, scorpionfish, lionfish, frogfish, sweetlips, octopus,.... the usual suspects :D

I profoundly resent this Bill!!!!:D:D For poor suckers like me stuck in the canadian winter, where summer diving is in 10-15ŽºC water, and you normally see river perch, pike and bass, and have an occasional trip to the caribean, these are anything but the usual suspects!!! That kind of comment is enough to plunge me into a deep depression...:depressed::depressed::depressed:

Ah... had I know that visiting and diving the Philippines would have such an impact... Now even a trip to Bonaire doesn't sound that great!!!:popcorn::popcorn:

Now I have to go and shovel the 35cm of snopw we got last night...:depressed:

Cheers!!!:D:D

Please don't remind me.... :(

(as I post with a cough and cold in -11C weather...)

Yeah...:depressed: I think I'd even chug down a dozen Balut just to be in Sabang right now...:shakehead::shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom