Tekna DV-3X how does this DPV compare to newer ones?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hawksbill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A friend gave me two of these that are supposedly in good working order except for the batteries. From mid 80's if I remember right. Someone let me know what I got here. If batteries are available and what these might be worth. Thanks.

There are already several threads in the archives on these.

I use standard and easily available batteries for wheelchairs in mine. Under 40 dollars each. The Tekna is relatively fast. Some of the newest scooters if you read Fdogs report are a good deal faster. However, some of us have rewound our Teknas and they are much faster than stock.

As to value, check ebay, complete, operational Tekna scooters run between 300 and 600 dollars typically.

The Tekna, just to be clear, is about ten times more thrust than those anemic little toy scooters.

N

Thanks Nemrod, My previous searches came up with 0 results. I did just now find many references to the Tekna the list of threads in the DPV forum. I dont have time now to work on this DPV but now have a great place to start when I do. Hawksbill

DPV Repair is a source of some parts and technical help.

N

Isn't there an issue with hydrogen gas getting into the motor compartment and going boom on the Teknas??

Hydrogen can be a problem with any scooter using batteries that can gas hydrogen. The motor compartment is sealed for that reason. The real problem is the light and the charging circuit. There is a resistor in the charge circuit that prevents sparking when connecting the plug. If that is bad, well, and hydrogen is present in a stochiometric ratio--boom. The other potential is the light in the housing, it can cause an explosion, most people have long since rendered the light INOP for that reason. The modern scooters charge with the batteries in the open, the Tekna charges through a port and the housing is closed allowing for potential of hydrogen venting. The scooter must always be allowed to vent 30 minutes before charging with the scooter standing on the shroud and the port open.

N

Deepstops and Nemrod,

thanks for the heads-up b'fore I getta boom and its . . heads-off. Ya know its always the details that get ya. I now hear that you reccomend I unplug the light and do the vent before and after probably no topside excitement? Its good to hear that this machine has potential. Ive only one ride on an appolo dpv. Do any of you use "sleds" towed from a boat to explore the open ocean? Its a great thrill.

Things to look for when replacing batteries

1 check the bottom clear bulkhead for crakes this is very common around the screws. We have upgraded replacements if you need on ours is machined for 1/2 inch thick acrylic.

2 replace the catalyst when you replace the batteries they are only good for the life of one set.
3 leave the charger plug out and the unit standing on its shroud so gases can vent when not in use..

4 always recharge your batteries after use. This will help them have a long and happy life.

if you have any questions or need any parts I will be happy to help you with about them.:D

Curt

Things to look for when replacing batteries

1 check the bottom clear bulkhead for crakes this is very common around the screws. We have upgraded replacements if you need on ours is machined for 1/2 inch thick acrylic.

2 replace the catalyst when you replace the batteries they are only good for the life of one set.
3 leave the charger plug out and the unit standing on its shroud so gases can vent when not in use..

4 always recharge your batteries after use. This will help them have a long and happy life.

if you have any questions or need any parts I will be happy to help you with about them.:D

Curt

Hi there
I know this is an old thread.
I just purchased a
Tekna DV-3X
In the case etc. No charger.
It appears to be in good cosmetic condition.
Before I begin tearing into it.
Has anyone switched for lead acid to Li-On to get longer run times? If so any recommendations.
If I go with lead acid, can I use a regular car battery charger?
Thanks for any info
Daren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom