Mares M1 vs. Dacor Darwin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone know if there is any difference between the Mares M1 and the Dacor Darwin computers, other than cosmetics and price?

[As an aside, the name Darwin for dive gear seems to be a bad choice since all this Darwin award jargon got started.]

Leadweight

There's nothing in it, unless you include screen layout, which may come under your definition of cosmetics... Each screen has the same info, the LCD is just laid out differently.

If I was buying one, I'd probably go for the Mares because I'm more like likely to find a Mares dealer than a Dacor one on this side of the Atlantic. That said, I do use a Dacor Eagle DPD Pro Regulator, which I love.

Leadweight,
I thought the same thing when I first saw the ad for the computer...the "Darwin"...rofl..

Lead,

I did this comparison earlier this year between the Darwin and Mares MC1. They are identicle, except for the screen colours. Same data, same algorithms. Since I did not want to pay for the screen colours, I bought the Mares which was cheaper at the time.

However, I must admit that the Dacor was a little easier to read with the colors (as long as you are in good light).

Enjoy the ride
:mean:

Leadweight,

I use the Dacor Darwin computer myself. So far, I have been happy with it (and also the download kit). As far as the comment about having enough light for it.............well, there are 2 ways to engage the backlight which provides plenty of light to see the display with.

As far as Dacor vs Mares: My understanding is that basically they are the same company ........ i.e. one (not sure which) of the companies bought out the other recently.

Not trying to start any debates, just that's my .02 on the subject.

Either way, it is a good computer and I really believe you'd be happy with it.

Dive Safe.

Aquanaut,

Mares now owns Dacor and Sporasub. They are all owned by HTM which also owns Prince and Head Tennis.

The guts of the MC1 and the Dacor Darwin are identical. The only difference it the display. My comment regarding the colour screen on the Dacor is that the colours begin to fade in poor light (even with the backlight on).

Either computer is a good deal. I just bought the cheaper of the two at the time.

Enjoy the ride
:mean:

Aquanaut713 once bubbled...
As far as Dacor vs Mares: My understanding is that basically they are the same company ........ i.e. one (not sure which) of the companies bought out the other recently.

Mares bought Dacor after it went (or nearly went) bust after the death of its founder Sam Davison (DAvison CORporation)

Ahhh the useless pieces of information I keep in my head....

Maresman 1 & SA Boy,

Thanks for the 'who owns who' info. I thought it was Mares that had bought out Dacor, but wasn't sure and didn't want to post the incorrect info.

SA Boy - obviously, the info wasn't useless at all. LOL Ya never know when something you may not consider anything will come in handy. I've always heard that the only stupid question is the one left unasked, so maybe the only info which is useless is the info not shared.

Thanks again.
:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom