Sound ...everywhere

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whitetip

Reaction score
I was recently reading a post about the effects of whale song and the general ambiance generated not only by the sight , but also the sounds emanating from the underwater world .:mean:

Reminded me that ( as a semi-dry suit diver and in most occasions using a hood ) perhaps 80 % of available aural information is filtered out by even the slimmest thickness of neoprene on one's head . This became very evident when I decided ( or was too lazy to wear ) my Scubapro separate hood which usually accompanies my forays when decked out with the trusty S Tek .

You must be aware of that feeling .... Cold Atlantic seeping down your back , head tingling , momentary chills , and then ... Wowww !!! ...
Grunts , clicks , wheezes , pops , moans , and the distant muted throb of boat engines .
:eek:ut:

One of my favourite sites is a cleaning rock that is perhaps 20 metres from a fairly moderately frequented beach , and where something in the region of 16 different species of Bream , Comber , Bass , Drums , Mullet & Wrasse spend alot of time
plying their trade around there . :D

Its a symphony out there folks .... I've been known to spend 3 plus hours bobbing up and down in snorkeling mode or just staying very still and trying to become part of the everyday traffic by this piece of barnacle and wrack strewn piece of Sandstone
and having all these incredible creatures come up and look for little titbits to pluck off my neoprene .

The sights are magical ... The sounds they give out are something a little beyond that ... =-)

And this is in daylight .... Imagine all that darkness illuminated only by those thin torch beams , and that strange rasping clicking rattle a few feet away that ( in your imagination ) transforms a 5 inch Goby into a Collossus of the dark depths .:D

Damn , I love this stuff !

Dive safe all

One of the very reasons I refuse to wear a hood, especially in salt water, is I'd miss the sounds. The cleaner shrimp clicks are just as cool as their wiggle dance to attract customers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom