Gear Options and Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDonald

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Alright, so I have been diving for a little bit of time now, over a year and I have bought some gear randomly and have had nothing but trouble with the small stuff. My previous OW instructor who taught me in my opinion half a$$'ed but we won't go that direction. He also owned a shop and was just trying to sell his stuff instead of explaining everything to the class about the specifics. The mask I bought was overpriced and kind of ridiculous in some ways, has the purge valve on the bottom which is now stuck open some what and loves to leak. The boots that I purchased were "comfortable" but were so loose that they did not provide insulation the way they were suppose to and friction burns all over my feet, as well as the gloves were too large and slip and slide around in the most important moments. The fins, split fins, found out don't work to well in a strong ocean current. To the real point im actually a DMIT (divemaster in training - PADI) and I need to get gear that WORKS and lasts. I just purchased a EVO 3mm full and shortie down in the keys, as well as a pair of tusa hard soles, ( 1.5 sizes smaller than my shoe, which confuses me a bit but is very comfortable. All of which was on sale and purchased at just about 100$ ( Valued at over 200$ so it was a good deal.) Since I am a DMIT, it was recommended to me to purchase was a balance, but I want to go towards tech more than rec so I was thinking about OMS or Halcyon rigs. So this is what I need and im looking for suggestions, or opinions about what I need or what I should do.

Fins (heard the Aeris Mako were really nice)
BCD (wing and backplate? Halcyon OMS?)
Computer (wrist and transmitter v. air integrated HP console)
Backup gauge console (compass, pressure gauge)
Regulators ( Primary, don't want to do secondary going for tech so multiple primarys I was thinking First Primary XTX 200 and Secondar XTX 50)
Mask ( I know the whole process in selecting one, just want opinions on different brands etc.)

Appreciate the Help.

You may get many answers to this one.

Here's my .02 on thinking about going the tech gear route.

Taking a look at a Hog rig (there's a dedicated forum in tech diving), for example, you won't find a gauge console or air integrated anything. The premise being that gauge consoles are bulky, and if your air integrated computer fails, you've lost information on remaining gas as well as depth, dive time etc.

SPG clips to your harness (either hip d ring or chest d ring, left side): minimal drag.

Compass, computer, bottom timer are worn on the wrists. Simple.

BP and wing not jacket style.

Fins: jets, turtles or OMS slipstreams and spring straps.

You don't mention a dry suit anywhere, that would be on my list (On longer tech dives you'll appreciate the thermal properties, plus a drysuit is redundant buoyancy.)

Talk to lots of tech oriented divers locally and check out their gear, and their reasoning for their gear choice and placement. Then think about what agency or agencies you'd like to train with for tech, gear requirements may vary.

Start buying equipment. Realize sometimes what you thought (or were told) was right actually isn't working as well as you'd like (eg. when starting rec drysuit diving, I was told to buy ankle weights. Switching to OMS slipstreams and adapting technique, I didn't need them at all. Oh, well, those ankle weights can be extra drop weights for refining trim issues.)

Keep buying equipment. (Dang, those thigh pockets for my harness I was told are the best are really a pain in the a$$, why didn't I get drysuit pockets when I purchased the suit? Add on drysuit pockets: ca-ching.)

Take more courses. Continue to buy equipment. (Better double up the steel 100 tanks, need manifold and bands. Need extra regulators for stage tanks. Duh. Need stage tanks. Visa card getting overstimulated.)

You get the general drift. It's a slippery slope ;-) Have fun!

Regulators ( Primary, don't want to do secondary going for tech so multiple primarys I was thinking First Primary XTX 200 and Secondar XTX 50)
Mask ( I know the whole process in selecting one, just want opinions on different brands etc.)

Much of this stuff I can't advise you on, but I'll steer you where I can.

Fins - I am not sure what the Aeris Makos are but I use Scubapro Jets. I like them. They are bomber, work great, and fit well. Some of the kicks you may want to learn are easier with a stiff blade fin. ie - back kick and frog kick

BCD - I own Halcyon 55# and 27# wings. I bought them both used and they both work great. I have heard very good stuff regarding Deep Sea Supply stuff. While I have never owned any, the reviews on the board are good and the other stuff that I have bought from them have been quality. Deep Sea Supply certainly seems to put more thought into their wings and back plates than anyone else. Not sure that the back plate matters much though. I would certainly recommend the bp/w set up regardless of the manufacturer.

Computer - don't know. I don't use one and don't think they are worth the $$. I recommend saving up for something you'll really use like a can light or a dry suit.

Backup gauge/console - I just use a simple brass spg. I don't like the consoles.

Regs - Most top end regs will serve you well. Some important points to consider however are hose routing and diaphragm vs piston. If you're going tech then you will be diving doubles. You want a clean rig and some 1st stages work better than others for hose routing. Some of the more prefer ed regs are the Apeks DS4 and XTX100, the Scubapro MK17 20 and 25, and the Atomics (don't know much about atomics). You will want a sealed diaphragm reg if you are diving very cold water (Apeks DS4 and XTX100).

A mask it all about fit. A low volume mask is easier to clear. Stay away from the purges.

I'd also point you to the Hogarthian section of this forum. Lots of good info that you may find valuable in your new purchases.

Good luck.

Hunter

If you are a DM in training, find out what the shop you will be DMing for wants you in for gear. They aren't going to be the least bit happy with you if you show up in Halcyon gear (no matter how good it is) and they don't sell it. If you want a BP/W setup, see if they are dealers for anybody who sells that kind of equipment, and then try to put the best rig together for yourself that you can.

My husband is going through this, so I know how it goes.

TSandM is correct on finding what the shop you are going to work for sells. back plate and wing and regulator, i am partial to dive rite for.. I love my ss backplate and my wings. I also love their rg3000 reg. time tested first stage and is wonderful flowing... so is the jetstream. as for fins, i would dive something stiff, so that you have the thrust when you go to doubles.. as u enter the tech world you will find that split fins dont really move you very well with doubles on your back. and i would also listen to shoredivr on the drysuit. I love my bare trilam hd pro tech!! it is pricey but it is def worth it.. very rugged!!!! just my .02

I'm a recently qualified DM and have to say it depends on what you are doing as a DM. I use a basic jacket BC and some simple work horse like Oceanic regs for working with OW students. It all looks pretty much like the rental gear they are using and you can rig it up so they can point at bits and ask questions without being freaked out by backplates, wings and long hoses. Also, it all takes a beating in and out of chlorinated water so I'm finding simple, reliable and resonably priced is probably best for pool work and open water dives with students and recently qualified divers - though you won't find me out of my drysuit when the students are shivering in rental wetsuits!

As for recommendations I'll stick my neck out with the Atomic Frameless mask- I have two.

Appreciate the Help.

I completely understand what you're going through. When I was first certified (10years ago) I ended up buying all my gear and the only thing I haven't replaced was my drysuit (DUI). I now dive with a SS Halcyon backplate, spg clipped to my d-ring, computer and compass on my wrist. I've never felt comfortable with the idea of an air integrated computer but it's a personal choice.

I also had a pair of split fins at first and they were tricky at first to use in a current until I got used to how to kick with them. However, I now use and I love my Scubapro jetfins as they are much easier for me to use.

I love my Atomic regulator but it is an older model as I haven't purchased a reg in a few years.

As for masks, I almost exclusively use the Oceanic Shadow. I don't seem to be comfortable in any other mask.

Talk to your friends, borrow some gear and try it out. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom