Lead Weights: Are prices going up?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil_218

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yesterday I stopped by a LDS and purchased some weights. I bought four 3lb and two 4lb weights (20lbs), all uncoated thread-through sea pearls. The total price with tax was $80, which comes out to paying $4 per pound. Going into the shop I knew I could get these items at a lower price on-line, but I wanted to give some support to the local LDS. According to the shop attendant, the prices of lead have sky-rocketed recently. Have you seen the same increase in the prices of weights and do you think $4/lb is higher than it should be?

As always, thanks for sharing your opinions.

$4 per pound is right around what I paid when I purchased a weight belt and weights in September

The price of lead has shot up in the last year or so. A lot of non-diving places around here talk about and complain about it.

That said - the price for weights around here is $6/lb last I checked. I got some used on craigslist and I paid $2/lb for them.

All metals have shot up, lead is no exception. Raw lead in this area goes for $4/pound. In dive-ready form, you're looking at (per pound) $5 for plain unholed, $6 for belt-ready, and $8 for shot.

Used lead doesn't go bad and people are giving up on diving all the time. Lead doesn't have very much profit to it, so your local LDS won't be making very much off your purchases.

Regarding the price of lead, I was looking in my local sporting goods store last week for lead shot. I wanted to fill a weight pouch and was considering lead shot for reloading shotgun shells. I've no idea if this would work because I don't know if the shot is too fine or not (different sizes are available). Regardless, 25lb of lead shot was $68.00, which is about $2.75 per pound.

I didn't buy the 25 lbs, because I only needed about 4 lbs. I ended up buying lead weights that are designed to anchor decoys. They work, but I don't like them. They are easy to cut to length and very malleable, but this weight pouch mounts on the inside of my back plate in the middle, and they press against my back...not comfortable. In other words, I was trying to find a less expensive alternative, and may end up just scrapping the whole idea and going back to the lead shot anyway.

john

Not a bad idea - but you can be buying into a lot of hassle. If you really only need 4 pounds, it seems better to just buy it, even at $5/lbs or something. It's still only $20. Even so, I'd still check craigslist (et. al.) first.

Go to your local trap or skeet range. They often collect and sell used shot from the range. Its is lousy shot for reloading (not round anymore) but for weight or remelting it is pretty cheap.

It's the price for transporting the materials that is being reflected in the purchase price. First to the manufacturer in raw form and then to market as a finished product.

Personally, I am not a big fan of soft weights. If the bag breaks you have leakage which could poison the food chain, but there are also many more pieces to rub together which might create lead dust which is potentially more harmful to the food chain.

I've not researched it, but I would wonder if the lead shot isn't too soft and might powder more readily than proper dive shot.

Don't get me wrong, I believe soft weights have a place, they just are not for me.

Paying 4-6 bucks per lb for weight is insane.... Go to Cabelas or some other outdoor store and buy some lead shot for shotguns... Cabelas sells it for 36 bucks for 25lbs... Go home and use your vacume pack food sealer and make up whatever size pouches you want..... They are durable and waterproof therefore no harm to the environment either...

They work great.... I have made up over 100lbs of it varying from 2-5lb weights and have never had one bit of trouble with them.

Samson

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom