Interesting site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's nifty. Living in Japan, and not knowing much of the language, this could be very helpful on some dive boats.

*edit* darn... I just went back to check out the Japanese and it's no good.:(

I've been wondering how to say many of these words in German...

Thanks!!!

Could be really useful site for some dive professionals. What I could check out looked accurate. I couldn't check out the Japanese site because the Japanese characters wouldn't display on the computer but I can't see how it would be so wrong; so many of the words that the Japanese used are the English words. I'll check it again on another computer.

to me but I can't read much kanji - well none of that stuff.

But there is a lot of missing stuff - see farmer john shorty (what the hell is one of those any way) or wreck penetration certificate - the katakana just says "raisensu".

We have a couple of long flights coming up I'll see if the other half can translate a few into romanji for you dsgobie but all the katakana ones their basically say the same as the English.

Everyone worked out what "raisensu" is yet? They don't have an "l" so yes it is license....

some useful stuff missing so looks like a challange for me unless TJO is bored when he gets back from Thailand. A useful one would be "saidai" = maximum "jikan" = length of time and it does give depth but that is in kanji I'll try it here but it may get deleted by the censor, here goes "fukasa".

Jonathan

Well, wreck diving in diving turns out to be the katakana equivalent of the English. All the parts of equipment are the katakana English equivalents. Okay, equipment itself is kisai but basically so much corresponds to the katakana English equivalent. For example 'wreck' in normal Japanese discourse is chinbotsusen and 'current' is ryuukou but Japanese divers say the katakana English equivalent of drift diving: dorifutodaibingu.

Jonathan once bubbled...

We have a couple of long flights coming up I'll see if the other half can translate a few into romanji for you dsgobie but all the katakana ones their basically say the same as the English.

Jonathan

ah ha! that's it..... romanji... I couldn't remember that.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom