First doubles!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SelkieDVM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just finished assembling my first set of doubles. Took a while, but honestly the worst part was getting off the **** tank stickers. I chose to use my neutral AL80s, mostly because they get the least use for singles. Hey, it's just a starter set. Now to get them filled and my doubles regs serviced and try them in the pool!

IMG_0023.jpg

Very cool!

I'm too old to lift anything like that...

Richard

Your tanks are entirely too shiny. Keep diving and they won't be that shiny any more. :wink:

Sure do have some pretty tanks there.

Note : easiest way to remove stickers is with a hair dryer.
It doesn't tank much heat to remove the vis stickers or even the Nitrox stickers.

Jim Breslin

Cool set-up. I agree that you need to get some dives in those things, they look way too new :wink:

Hmm, for removing VIP stickers at my dive shop we just use a straight-edged razor. Doesn't stratch the tank unless you hit it with the tip.

I wound up using some adhesive remover to get the sticky stuff off after I peeled the stickers. Only problem was, it started to run down, and removed part of the adhesive on my VIP sticker as well....oops.

Congrats on your new set of doubles!

Thanks, guys. Yeah I definitely need to beat up them some.:D

Last edited:
I chose to use my neutral AL80s, mostly because they get the least use for singles. Hey, it's just a starter set.
It may be a 'starter set', but double 80s are a really great way to go! I have two sets myself, and I love them. Great trim characteristics, manageable weight. For me, they provide more than enough gas for any coastal recreational dive, and enough gas for deco dives down to the 180' range. Wish mine weren't painted, and looked as good as yours.

Agreed. I think double 80's are exremely underrated. I just got back from the DR and every dive was on double AL80's. Light weight, less inertia in the water, great trim characteristics. My RMV dropped about .1 pushing those things through the cave vs. big steels. I plan on putting a set together for summer dives off the coast.

I'm putting together my first set of double as well, LP72s. I have a quick, maybe dumb question. I see you have the bolts for the bands going in opposite directions, i.e wing nut towards the diver on the lower, etc. How do you attach the set to backplate?

Back
Top Bottom