Introducing 2 Newbies to Diving in Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rimski

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys,

Back on SB after a 3 year absence. Feel like I have spent the entire day catching up on Bali diving news. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post thoughtful posts and replies. There's lots of interesting stuff on here!

I'm getting back in the water to introduce two mates to diving on a trip to Bali which starts tomorrow. I've decided - subject to a better argument from any wise hands on SB - that a few days in Gili T will provide very relaxing topside, plus a solid OW lesson environment (safety and the absence of cocky cowboy instructors being a priority). I realise that Gili T won't give the best diving in the world, but I think it will provide a good intro (gentle enough, good night time activity, food, swimming, etc). Right now I'm thinking The Beach House for accom and Manta Dive for lessons.

Later, subject to my mates enjoying the whole diving experience, I'll propose a few days at Tulamben, where we can explore some more challenging and more interesting diving - including a night dive on the Liberty if they are game. Accom and diving ideas yet to be confirmed - Terminal Tauch, Mimpi and Seraya all appeal.

I guess this is just me thinking out aloud. If anyone has any suggestions or improvements I'd be glad to hear them. Hopefully I'll be able to provide everyone with a good dive report when I return.

Cheers in anticipation.
:)

Gili is nice spot, many people love gili island atmosphere, but Gili is not in Bali and not my favourite for diving. At least you'll loss one day for traveling to Bali.
Bali only has more than enough dive sites for 2 or 3 weeks without boring.
For OW - i recommend Candi Dasa - stay there for a week; then move to Tulamben or Seraya or Amed for another week than move to pemuteran or menjangan for another week.
just my 2 bar

We were in Bali in August 2008 and enjoyed diving at Padangbai. We also dove Permuteran, Menjangen, Tulamben and Amed.

We are going back to Bali in 2009 and plan to return to Padangbai. We dove with Absolute Scuba. On the ride from Sanur we met a couple that arranged a dive package with them that included room and board. I don't remember the deal they got but I do recall it was quite a bargain when compared to what we were paying for our two tank dive. One gal on the bus had just earned her c-card and was making her first dive. The crew from Absolute were great with her. They basically had a DM assigned to her and another novice.

While we enjoyed our stay in Amed, we won't be going back soon. We stayed there when we dove Tulamben. Amed is very quiet and unless you stay on Jemulek Bay your dining choices are limited. The one dive we made in Amed during our stay was very poor.

The diving in Permuteran was nothing memorable but staying there made Menjangen more accessible. Permuteran is also very quiet with the limited lodging/dining choices being spread out.

On our first trip to Bali we stayed in Lovina when we dove Menjangen. We would stay there again, instead of Permuteran, if we were to dive Menjangen. Lovina is nice and compact with many lodging/dining choices. There is a nice open air bar on the beach to enjoy the sunsets and your Bintang. The early morning dolphin show is also worth the effort.

Chug

Hey thanks for the info guys. I've been offline since getting here. Today leave from Ubud to Padangbai, then on to G. T tomorrow. Hopefully to Tulamben after that. Will post a review. Sent a message to Manta Dive a week back - but until today no response - slack!

Back
Top Bottom