Any pointers on getting into and out of a BP\Harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doof

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been having some difficulty figuring out how to get into this thing. With an aluminum tank, I can easily lift it up over my head and it goes on ok, but then taking it off is a pain because it gets hung up on my drysuit dump valve.

And maybe George can easily toss a steel (or set of doubles) up over his head, but I know I sure as hell won't be able to. :eek:ut:

So are there any tricks to this? Is it possible the harness is too tight? I keep reading and hearing that these things have to be tight. I followed the directions on that baue site, and it seems to be adjusted correctly, but now it's even harder to put on than it was before.

So... um... help?

If you are having problems getting into it, it is likely too tight. Most people have more problems getting out if it

To get into it, you might try sliding your elbow in first, then straightening your arm once it's through.

To get out of it, two methods seem to work fairly well.

The first, is grab the shoulder d-ring with your thumb and pull the shoulder harness off.

The secon is slide your hand under the outside of the harness and leverage the strap off of your shoulder as you slide your arm through the shoulder strap (towards the inside of your body).

I believe that the BAUE image gallery has pics of at least one of these methods.

Re: proper tightness, harness should allow you about two to three finger widths between your chest and your harness right about where the d-ring would be positioned at.

After playing with mine for a while, it seems to work fine if I set it standing up on something then back into it, or have someone hold it up while I slip my arms in. I can also slip one arm in while it's standing on the ground, then stand up and get the rest of it on.

I agree with the "over the head" thing. With the SS bp, channel weight, hardware, and tank, there's no way I'm tossing 55+ pounds over my head :wink:

have a seat there myself. I put in the right arm first, then the left elbow, pull my crotch strap up and buckle the whole affair. I have done it in the air, but there is almost always something to set the durn things on.

Sunday was the first time I tried it on after doing all of the adjustment.

I had removed the MC storage pack that came with it, but wound up wishing that I had left it on. When I slung the rig up over my head, I think that one of the wingnuts caught on my weight harness, where the straps cross my back. I hadn't had that problem before, but then, the pack had always been on the plate before as well.

But the weight harness has to go anyway. The weight pockets are creating way too much confusion for me underwater. I'm having a hard time finding the waist d-ring due to them being there. And the weight harness straps are actually interfering with the BP harness straps.

So I'm going to get rid of it for a standard weight belt. Although I'm kind of thinking of just diving steels, since then I don't need a weight belt at all.

But like you say, it's generally easier to put it on than to take it off. I'm just concerned with the speed with which I can get it on because I'm a public safety diver, and time is crucial. I could throw my jacket BC on in a couple of seconds. Not so with this "DIR" rig. :eek:ut:

I suspect most of that may be due to inexperience with this rig, though. I'm sure it will get easier with time. I'd just like to figure it all out before I have to try this on a boat. :eek:ut:

Cave Diver wrote...
To get out of it, two methods seem to work fairly well.

The first, is grab the shoulder d-ring with your thumb and pull the shoulder harness off.
But first you should press both elbows back toward the tank(s) as you activate the deflator. This makes getting out much easier.

I using the sitting method. You stand your rig up and sit in front of it making sure there is no more than half a bladder full of air. I put my left arm in up to my elbow then insert right arm. loosely attatch belt then ensure all gear is in proper place (infator over shoulder, apply necklace and make sure primary is where you want it). Roll over on your knee's, then stand up. Tighten your belt, fully inflate bc and you are in buisness. This sounds kinda funny but it is actually very quick and for me it is the easiest way since I very rarely have a dive buddy. Hope this helps.:)

From Jonathan - hey doubles I think this was meant to go here so I moved it for you

Make sure your wing is fully deflated when getting out.

You might want to loosen up the harness a bit.

I usually just hook the two chest d-rings with my fingers and pull the harness off to the side.

Back
Top Bottom