DM crossover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike D

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was initially certified through the YMCA for OW and AOW, and worked as a teaching assistant. I then did some PADI courses and currently have my PADI DM. I live just outside Boston, and I was wondering what I would have to do to move over into SEI diving. I did like the YMCA system and would like to become affiliated with this new (yet old) system

Mike, welcome to the forum! Send an email to Thadeus Bowden at SEI HQ thadeus.bowden@seidiving.org . Ask him to get you in touch with an instructor in your area. The requirements for DM are a bit different than the agency you are with now. There are a number of skills that are required that you may not have done. Also part of the DM process for SEI is actually teaching classes. Under supervision of course but you will prepare lessons, give lectures, and conduct pool sessions. You will find that as an SEI DM you are responsible for more things and you will become a better diver, instructor, and in my opinion, person for it. Go to the SEI website and click on join SEI. Download the leadership prep manual pdf(free) and it contains the requirements for DM/ AI/ and Instructor. Look these over and then shoot an email to SEI HQ for an instructor near you. In the future we will begin listing Instructors on the website. Til then an email will get you going.

Thanks for the info.

The newly formed Scuba Educators International (SEI Diving), although it has no affiliation with the YSCUBA program, is a continuation of the knowledge-based training that we know produces safe and competent divers. Additionally, SEI Diving is an agency in which the instructors have a large influence on the programs and direction taken by the agency. Most of our programs have been written by SEI Diving leaders and, as we revise and update these programs, the leadership will again be involved in producng the next generation of SEI Diving materials. And we have opened up 2 of the 5 board positions to instructors and instructor trainers democratically elected by the leadership. No other agency that I know of has created itself to serve the leadership in this way, but our primary commitment remains with teaching safe, enjoyable, and knowledge filled courses to our students. I encourage you to contact us and find out how we can benefit you, your shop, and your students. I serve as a Board member and Program Development Director and I look forward to speaking with you.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom