Patriot sinking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did you all hear about the sinking of the fishing vessel Patriot a couple days ago? Slow CG response times to a reported fire alarm, two dead bodies in the water, and another vessel in very close proximity with pending investigations... it's shaping up to be an interesting story, albeit a tragic one for the families of the deceased and the fishing community at large. My prayers go out to their loved ones.

Very sad story. Condolences to the family and close-knit fishing community of Gloucester.

I hope they get conclusive evidence soon.

X

I spent an hour or two researching the Fishermans memorial and Gloucester for the book I am working on. I came across the story I think 2 days ago.. An idea that came up was to add the Fishrman's memorial to the map introducing the Gloucester dive sites I'm including (only ones I have dove before).

So I had to get it in vector format and used a program called RasterDesign to digitize the drawing using a Wacom tablet. This took me 8 hrs to digitize this and keep it detailed. Definitly worth the effort.

A definite pay of respect to all the fishermen- boaters that risk their lives to make a living.

Attachments

• FISHERMANS MEMORIAL1.png
    FISHERMANS MEMORIAL1.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Wew!! Tampico. I thought you did something simlar in a second after spending 8 hrs digitizing the picture. I'de love to be able to vector convert on the fly if possible but I can't find anything that does a good job with any filter. I tried a raster to vector converter but the picture came out like tiny ants or spray paint.

Going to be doing a lobster for my Acadia-Maine chapter base on my buddy Scott's suggestion.

Just an update. Looking at a cable as cause of the accident.

Cable may be to blame for Gloucester fishing boat fatalities
By Colneth Smiley Jr.
Sunday, January 11, 2009 - Added 2d 1h ago

EmailE-mail PrintablePrintable Comments(1) Comments LargerSmallerText size ShareShare Rate(0) Rate

Coast Guard officials have questioned crew members of a tugboat and barge to determine whether they might have been involved in the Jan. 3 sinking of the Gloucester-based fishing trawler Patriot.

According to reports, a 2,000-foot steel cable that connected the tug and barge has been taken into evidence by the Coast Guard as part of a “lengthy investigation.” The sinking resulted in the deaths of fisherman Matt Russo, 36, and his father-in-law, John Orlando, 15 miles off Cape Ann.

“The focus of the investigation is to reconstruct the last events before the boat went down to try to figure out what happened that night,” said petty officer Etta Smith, Coast Guard spokesperson.

“This makes sense as to what happened,” said Angela Sanfilippo, president of the Gloucester Fishermen’s Wives Association, confirming that tugboat and barge lines are a lethal risk for vessels that cross the connecting cable. “These barges and tugboats travel in the fishing lanes, and there is not enough communication” to avoid collision, said Sanfilippo.

As for tension from fishermen brought on by reports criticizing the Coast Guard response, “There is no animosity,” Sanfilippo said.

“We all want immediate answers, and when things like this happen there will be confusion, anger and finger-pointing, but things become clear within a little more time,” she said. “We work with the Coast Guard and when there’s a loss like this it affects everybody, including them. They put their lives at risk as well to save our fishermen.”

Back
Top Bottom