Marsa Alam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skuba-doo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
Booked Marsa Alam in March of this year. Looking for some hints, tips and any advice about Marsa, local dive centres, dive sites etc. I am PADI OW, but with only 15 dives - gained in Costa Rica and Sipidan - so not the most experienced of chaps. Going with my bro who is a DM tho.

Are dive sites really restricted for us less experienced divers? How many dives are done in a day generally, and are the dive sites quite far out to sea?

Thanks for any help

Most dive OP will demand that you have at least 50 logged dives to take you to Elphinstone reef (and probably some other sites as well).
How many dives are done a day depends on you and the dive centre. At Marsa Shagra Eco Lodge, two guided "truck" dives (shore dives, where they take you to the site in a truck) and unlimited diving on the house reef, including drop off and pick up in a small boat, were included in the dive package. For boat dives like Elphinstone you had to pay extra.

Most dive OP will demand that you have at least 50 logged dives to take you to Elphinstone reef

Man I wish that was so... I Work in the area (mainly liveaboard) and to be honest I would love if the daily boats would be filled with divers with minimum 50 dives. As it is now they come as herds of wildebeests down the wall.

There is a rule that to go to the offshore Islands and marine parks like Brother, Daedalus Rocky and Zabargad you have to have either 50 dives or certification beyond entry level (such as AOW oc **CMAS et.c.). Elphinstone is not included in that category.

There is plenty of info on the subject on WELCOME TO AZIAB where you go to either LIVEABOARD or MARINE PARKS.

.......a.......

EDIT: When it comes to shore based diving in Marsa Alam is there only one alternative in my oppinion. That is to dive with ORCA in Marsa Abu Dabab. Thy have a dugong on the house reef and the area is protected to releave the stress from the dugong so it's not alowed to come with boats and moor up and dive. This means that the only way to visit this spectacular animal is to go in from the beach. Also the reef itself is fantastic and the dive sites you reach with boat excursions are absolutely word class!

That's right; Elphinstone is not listed as a marine park so it's not included in the minimum 50 dives regulation.

However, any reputable dive op will ask for sufficient experience to dive Elphinstone. On the other hand, non reputable dive ops will take novice divers anywhere even if it's not permitted.

Thanks.
My brother, who is also coming to Marsa, is a DM with alot of experience and he will be my buddy. We need to find dive sites that will be good for him as well as for my level. I know he is very keen to dive Elphinstone an dit would be a shame for me to miss out, or for us not to be able to dive together for a day (we have wives to keep happy so have compromised on only a set number of days diving).
Can you recommend any sites that might be best suited for us?
thanks muchly

Suitable sites for your level include your house reef, other shore dives accessible by trucks (including Abu Dabbab), and Samadai (Dolphin House).

However, the sites I mentioned are not to be compared to Elphinstone, IMHO. Elphinstone is by far the best dive site accessible by daily boats and speed zodiacs from Marsa Alam.

Wow, things must have really changed in MA since I was there (in 2004). Whenever we went out to Elphinstone from Marsa Shagra, there was a maximum of two other dive boats in the area, once there was only us. The Red Sea Diving Safaris dive shop demanded the 50-logged-dives minimum.

We dived Marsa Abu Dabab from the shore (don't think there even was a dive shop there then), unfortinately the dugong was hiding somewhere. But again, we were the only divers.

Any more information anybody?We'll be out there with Emperor in early April. Can't wait!

You find plenty of info on the Red Sea Dive Sites on my website WELCOME TO AZIAB and if you need more you can send me an email and I'll forward more from my next guide book which covers just that area. The previous book was on the Norhern Wrecks and Reefs in the El Gouna area in the Red Sea and the one before that covered the Hurghada area.

There are lots of good dive sites in the Marsa Alamarea and of course Elphinstone is excellent but it's fare from the only site worth diving. Also keep in mind that it's like picadilly cirkus down there most of the time so you miht even get more out of similar sites lke Gota Sharm a.k.a. Shaab Sharm.

Any info you like let me know, mail to anders@aziab.com and I'll send it over.

no worries
...a...

Back
Top Bottom