Virgin Blue Airpass-- Sporting Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

namabiru

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Out of all the domestic carriers in Australia I find Virginblue the best airline to fly with dive gear. I normally try and check in early and try and get as much weight into my carry on as i can. I havnt personally been charged excess baggage but seen people that have.

I have also noticed that recently they have changed the baggage weighting system. Having cheap tickets online and having to pay an extra $8 for checked baggage. So maybe they are tighting their allowances for all types of baggage, sporting or other wise.

If you go Jetstar you WILL be charged excess for sure!

Regards Mark

Brill-- thanks for the info! Someone from Melbourne said that yeah, dive kit is sporting equipment (On Emirates, for example, dive kit is *not*, yet golf club are...), and they've never had any issues. Sporting allowance is still in play, even with the checked bag upcharge.

On the other hand, Virgin Blue only charges AUS$20 per kilo overweight. Which isn't terrible...

Brill-- thanks for the info! Someone from Melbourne said that yeah, dive kit is sporting equipment (On Emirates, for example, dive kit is *not*, yet golf club are...), and they've never had any issues. Sporting allowance is still in play, even with the checked bag upcharge.

On the other hand, Virgin Blue only charges AUS$20 per kilo overweight. Which isn't terrible...

Also another option is to look out for when virginblue have their sales on. It makes sense to buy two "cheap" tickets and get double the baggage allowance and also having an extra seat is also nice. This is what i have done many times as dive gear and camera gear ended up weighting alot.

Regards Mark

Back
Top Bottom