Number of blank passport pages needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viva1

Registered
Reaction score
We'll be traveling to Indonesia next summer (US to Singapore, then to Bali, then Sulawesi, then Bali and back to US through Singapore). I think I've heard that you need a certain number of completely blank pages in your passport to go to Indonesia, but I don't remember how many. I know we'll go through immigration in Singapore, and then again in Bali and I suppose again in Singpore on our way back. Does anyone know how many blank pages are needed?

I just found out that I could order free additional visa pages to my passport (it still had 5 more years until expiration) from the Nat'l Passport Processing Center, Form DS 4085. You can fill it out on-line and mail it with your passport to Philadelphia.

I don't know how many pages will be added, but I'll find out soon when they return the passport.

The x number of blank pages requirement, and how seriously they enforce if varies country to country.
Many countries created this requirement and others stated that they won't accept passports near their expiration date, after the USA tightened up our requirements. It's kind of a t-t for tat deal.

I suggest you call the consulates of the countries you plan to visit and check the specific rules.

It really depends what the visa looks like - some countries visas consume a full page (Saudi Arabia, India, Thailand, China) and others look just like a normal "entry" stamp. I have only seen the requirement for a blank page (or sometimes two facing blank pages) when the visa consumes the full page.

You will lose some space in with stamps in Singapore (though, if it is only transitting, probably not...).

Having said that - getting pages added is easy, and you get twenty four new pages. It is even easier to add pages at a US consulate overseas - just had it done in less than 20 minutes.

The Indonesian visa takes a full page. I would have at least 2-3 blank pages for the entry/exit stamps.

I got a Visa on arrival in Indonesia. I checked my passport and in 2006 and 2007 they used just one page for the Indonesia visa sticker and stamped the arrival and departure stamp on top of the visa.

How to Add Extra Pages to Your U.S. Passport

If you are applying for a new US Passport, see the above web page for instructions on obtaining one with extra pages already built in. At the US government web site they state "A signed, written request for additional visa pages " So you need to write a separate letter requesting a passport that contains 48 pages. The regular one I think has 19 pages.

Also for Indonesia your passport MUST be valid for more than six months from the time you arrive in Indonesia.

Some other countries have a policy of three months or that the passport is valid for the period of time you will be in that country. My friend was turned away twice recently at LAX with a US passport that was expiring in a month when he tried to board a flight to Europe. He had already applied for a new passport at an Embassy in Europe and it took two fax transmissions from the Embassy to finally get my friend on the flight.

If you stay in the airport in Singapore in Transit(there are small transit hotels that rent by several hour blocks in each terminal upstairs) then you will not have your passport stamped or examined by Singapore immigration. But have it handy as late at night the airport security officers often check passport and boarding passes.

Make sure you check with the Indonesian embassy before you leave.

Unfortunately, Indonesia is one of the most corrupt countries on earth, with an extremely predatory bureaucracy (always with an eye on making an easy buck); immigration officials will have no qualms about refusing you entry into the country if they feel you are not in line with their (often inconsistently applied) laws. I have had to personally bail out clients at the airport when i used to live there.

The thing you really need to be aware of is that you have at least six months left on your pasport before you enter the country; this is often the most obscure and easily misused regulation they use to screw over foreigners. You will be threatened with refusal of entry, only to discover (if you're sharp enough) that you can pay an on-the- spot 'fine' and then get your passport stamped. Upon 'negotiation' with an official in a side room, it usually evens out to about USD 100.

Be aware that if you go to Jakarta, you will need to go to the Visa-on-arrival counter first, then proceed to the immigration desks; then you take the gamble.

More often than not, Indonesian immigration officials don't hassle western foreign tourists (i.e. gringos), they are more likely to harass other Asians, since they are viewed as easier prey, depending on said officials' mood at the time.

Again, check with the embassy before leaving.

I just got a new visa for Indonesia in Singapore through an agent and beforehand he had sent me the following information about what was needed for the visa

We will assist you in getting the 60day tourist visa. This is the requirement.

1. Passport must be valid more than six months.
  2. Two clean passport pages for visa stamping.
  3. One recent passport size photograph (3X4cm or 4X6cm).
  4. Ticket out of Indonesia.
  5. The visa will be done within a day and the fee is $Sgd170.00 nett.

Regards
In the end I got a Visa Sosial Budaya which has different requirements but I presume the 60-days tourist visa is the one you will apply for!?

Back
Top Bottom