Prescription Scuba Mask [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Prescription Scuba Mask

Sponsored Link
wesandkim
January 11th, 2009, 04:28 AM
I am looking for a company that can do a prescription scuba mask. Any suggestions? Anyone else order one of these? I tried contacts and it did not go well, husband has had enough of asking me if I am ok and I give him my air pressure.

Thanks
Kim

NudeDiver
January 11th, 2009, 05:26 AM
I have a HydroOptix flat mask with prescription. Works great.

Diving Masks by HydroOptix -- Products -- Flat Rx Masks (http://hydrooptix.com/ps_flat_rx.html)

micklock
January 11th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Dive Rite Masks with Optional Vision-Correcting Lenses (http://www.diveriteexpress.com/fins/masklenses.shtml)

seaducer
January 11th, 2009, 08:59 AM
This guy is good, I have a mask from him, and so does another person I know. Good quality, fast mail order service. You can mail him your mask or purchase one from him.

Leonard Maggiore, Optician (http://rxdivemask.com/)

herman
January 11th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I have used these guys for several mask and have always been happy with the customer service and the product. Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878 (http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/)

zider
January 11th, 2009, 11:09 AM
You can also order masks from scubatoys.com. Just get your prescription, which you need anyway, and tell them what rating is needed for each eye. They offer masks from Tusa and Mares that can be upgraded with prescription lenses. Just tell them which mask you want, what the correction is for right/left, and they will do the rest. Plus tell them on the phone that you are a scubaboard member and they will knock off 10%.

divermatt
January 11th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Most dive shops can help with this--I have a pair of these prescription goggles, it cost me about $90.00. They just take your glasses, and figure out the prescription, then get lenses for each eye. I don't need a perfect match, since underwater refraction is an issue, and besides, how much am I going to spend on a piece of gear that has a fairly short lifespan?

bleeb
January 11th, 2009, 11:17 AM
From your original post, it sounds like you may already have a mask. In case you weren't aware, if you have a mask with separate lenses for each eye, most of the major mask manufacturers make drop-in replacement lenses at regular diopter values. (Round your prescription to the nearest value, usually rounding down.) Should be available by special order through any decent LDS.

oreocookie
January 11th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I have a HydroOptix flat mask with prescription. Works great.

Diving Masks by HydroOptix -- Products -- Flat Rx Masks (http://hydrooptix.com/ps_flat_rx.html)

I'd recommend these guys too.

fisheater
January 11th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Step One: Find a mask that fits. This is critical. No messing around with this!!

Step Two: See if the LCS offers that mask with prescription lenses (either custom or standard "drop in" lenses).

If yes, order it and you're done.

If no, return to Step One.

BubblesUp
January 11th, 2009, 03:01 PM
My son and neice both have had great luck with prescription masks from SeaVision.

Sea Vision - Your Single Source for Prescription Dive Masks (http://www.seavisionusa.com/index.shtml)

divermatt
January 11th, 2009, 03:07 PM
The costs at Sea Vision seem to be in line with what I'm talking about, but I really, really would advise the OP to try on a mask, make sure that it's a fit, then get the lenses. I wonder if the OP has asked at the LDS about this.

sphillips3
January 11th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Another vote for Prescription Dive Masks - very good service. Go to your LDS and get a mask that fits, then send it to PDM and they can grind the lenses and put them in. Very nice people to work with.

Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878 (http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/)

fnfalman
January 12th, 2009, 09:37 AM
There is a local outfit that my LDS uses that does the same thing as Prescription Dive Mask. I choose a mask then he sends the mask in to get the prescription lenses made and bonded to my mask's original lenses. Work like a charm. Not cheap but work like a charm. I can safely dive without prescription but I lose a lot of the details and colors.

I have this prescription lenses thing done to both my primary and backup mask.

Puffer Fish
January 13th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I have a Hydro-optix mask, one with the drop in lens, and one with prescription custom made...

Best vision is with the Hydro..but the mask leaks, and the straps suck...but being seriously nearsighted it works really well.

The drop in sort of work..well I can see better, but they have a fair amount of distortion because the lens center does not line up with my eyes.

The custom mask.. done by a company in indiana.. to a mask I really like, is wonderful...and what I wear most of the time....

NudeDiver
January 13th, 2009, 02:44 AM
The drop in sort of work..well I can see better, but they have a fair amount of distortion because the lens center does not line up with my eyes.
Yeah, it's the difference between using pupillary distance (PD) and not. That aside, I'd much rather have an exact prescription, rather than the "next closest" - esp. if one has astigmatism, which isn't correct for at all by generic prescription lenses.

FWIW, my Hydrooptix flat mask doesn't leak. Is it possible you have it on too tightly?

Also FWIW, I've had two ScubaPro Crystal Vu masks, with custom lenses bonded in. That solution was fine - it worked, but I could see the edges of the lenses (an issue with all bonded lenses) and I like the built-in lens approach much better.

Cheers!
nd

ChimChim75
January 13th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Well, if you have a weak prescription, Body Glove actually makes ones with common corrective lenses already installed. I have a hard time wearing most "corrective lens ready" masks because the heavier frame pushes into the bridge of my nose, but I can wear that one because the thinner frame. And bonus... They sell for around $65! I put about 10 dives on it since last month and no issues yet! Good mask.

offthewall1
January 13th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I am looking for a company that can do a prescription scuba mask. Any suggestions? Anyone else order one of these? I tried contacts and it did not go well, husband has had enough of asking me if I am ok and I give him my air pressure.

Thanks
Kim

Many companies make prescription scuba masks. My recommendation is Sea Vision. Find a local dealer and try on for fit. They make several models and you'll want the one that fits you best. Good luck and Happy Diving!

Puffer Fish
January 13th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Yeah, it's the difference between using pupillary distance (PD) and not. That aside, I'd much rather have an exact prescription, rather than the "next closest" - esp. if one has astigmatism, which isn't correct for at all by generic prescription lenses.

FWIW, my Hydrooptix flat mask doesn't leak. Is it possible you have it on too tightly?

Also FWIW, I've had two ScubaPro Crystal Vu masks, with custom lenses bonded in. That solution was fine - it worked, but I could see the edges of the lenses (an issue with all bonded lenses) and I like the built-in lens approach much better.

Cheers!
nd

loose....tight.... let others try it... it aways leaks the same... seems to be from the purges..although I cannot find anything obvious...doing a pressure test and it does not leak... get in the water and it leaks constantly. When you pull suction, the valves seal.. when you don't, they leak.

I have had 8 or 9 people try it, and all had the same experience.

The snaps that hold the mask are also very prone to sudden releasing.. does not bother me if my mask comes off.. but not something one wants to let a newer diver use.

zfrye
January 13th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Working in an LDS, my advice is to stick with Seavision. I used one of their masks for years with great results. They're efficient, fast and I've never had a complaint on their product. I've also seen too many masks that had "drop in" or "moulded" that have been very heavy, had lenses that placed too far down in the cut of the mask to do any good, leaked, etc.

diver 85
January 13th, 2009, 04:28 PM

Thanks
Kim

What's your Rx??/......'OTC' premade ones may work OK assuming you don't have much cylinder(astigmatism)......Also assuming you're nearsighted(ie needing minus lenses for your sphere RX)....

Thalassamania
January 13th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Here's a list: Prescription Masks (http://www.scubaduba.com/equipment/nfmasks.html)

oreocookie
January 14th, 2009, 10:34 AM
What's your Rx??/......'OTC' premade ones may work OK assuming you don't have much cylinder(astigmatism)......Also assuming you're nearsighted(ie needing minus lenses for your sphere RX)....

This is the big question here, before you start looking into who can do a prescription mask, you have to know the options, drop in lenses are usually cheapest but will only work if your Rx is fairly simple. If the Rx isn't simple (ie a more than slight astigmatism as diver 85 mentioned, then custom ground lenses is probably the only way to go. If you go that route, depending on the company you may or may not be able to pick whichever mask you want. Some companies will want you to mark the mask and send it to them, others have masks and prefer to use their own (I went that route with the HydroOptix flat mask, but got it through an optician to make sure it fit first. Cost alot more than the mask i originally bought, which is now my spare/snorkeling mask since it's not Rx).

Find out what option is going to work for you before buying a mask as it may save you from having to buy a second one if the first won't accept drop-ins or the Rx company supplies masks.

nelia1978
January 14th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I actually have Tusa liberator plus mask and I am going to get the lenses put in tomorrow on my mask. I am afraid of loosing my contacts underwater if my mask gets flooded or something like that. It will cost my 80$,, good luck with yours.

nelia1978
January 16th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I actually have Tusa liberator plus mask and I am going to get the lenses put in tomorrow on my mask. I am afraid of loosing my contacts underwater if my mask gets flooded or something like that. It will cost my 80$,, good luck with yours.

Ok Update to this.. OMG i am soooo happy I actually put the lenses on the mask. I put the mask on in the shower (testing for leaks) and I looked into my kitchen, and i was able to see... I cannot wait to actually really use them =)

Teamcasa
January 16th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Another vote for Prescription Dive Masks - very good service. Go to your LDS and get a mask that fits, then send it to PDM and they can grind the lenses and put them in. Very nice people to work with.

Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878 (http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/)

Yet another vote - great people and fast service.

ba_hiker
January 16th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I have used Scuba Vision in Ukiah for my last three prescriptions.

Guy is an optician and a free diver. Have had long talks with him about skin diving. My masks were all perfect. He has you mark the center of your pupils on the outside surface of the mask when you send it to him, and he insures that the center of you lenses is on the mark.

diver 85
January 16th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I have used Scuba Vision in Ukiah for my last three prescriptions.

Guy is an optician and a free diver. Have had long talks with him about skin diving. My masks were all perfect. He has you mark the center of your pupils on the outside surface of the mask when you send it to him, and he insures that the center of you lenses is on the mark.

OR-------you can send him your P.D.(pupillary distance measurement)--a measurement your optician or eye doctor would have on hand in their records.........This is to ensure no(or not much) prism is induced into the Rx, the higher the Rx the more accurate the lenses have to be made...........

kjunheart
January 16th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I have a bad prescription which includes a high astigmatism. Contacts don't work for me and I am very sensitive to any prism. Sea Vision has nailed my last two prescription masks. I purchased the mask itself through my LDS. So I was able to go in, try on the masks and see what worked best for me since I have a small face. Then I sent the mask to Sea Vision and got it back very quickly. They do a superb job!

Doc Harry
January 16th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I give two thumbs up for Leonard Maggiore, of Queens, New York.

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1