Rescue Diver and the Case of the Missing Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reg Braithwaite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I start my PADI Rescue Diver training tomorrow. In preparation, I'm reading the manual and watching the DVD of course. They keep mentioning using a snorkel for in-water assists. I don't own a snorkel, I lost mine shortly after passing OW and haven't worn one since.

I'm wondering if I should...
  1. Own one and actually carry it on dives?
  2. Own one and keep it handy on shore in case I need to re-enter the water for assists?
  3. Borrow one to pass the course and then forget about it?
  4. Show up for the course wihout one and braze it out?

Comments? Opinions? Blatant trolling?? All replies welcome!

There's lots of legitimate debate about the use of snorkels in scuba diving. Some will say always take a snorkel, and offer logical arguments to support their position. Others will say leave it home, and offer equally valid supporting arguments.

I believe that the use of a snorkel is mandatory for the PADI course, but I'm not sure. In your shoes I'd buy a simple snorkel or a folding one for the course, and make my own decision about diving with it down the road.

Without getting into the snorkel is good or bad discussion: A snorkel is a requirement for the course. There are scenarios you will practice where you assist a diver with just your mask, fins and snorkel.

Equipment is like tools in a toolbox.

You CAN drive a nail using an open ended box wrench. But it isn't the best tool for the job.

The idea is that you have different tools in your toolbox, and you use each tool if and as needed.

Read the Post-Script (October 2002) section beginning on page 10 of 12, 5th paragraph down in this article:
Surface Survival Primer

It concerns a diver who actually drifted in the open ocean for two days after a dive in Micronesia. His point is that a snorkel can make an important difference (e.g. live or die) if a diver is forced to swim on the surface for any distance (e.g. in a survival situation). Larry had to swim for over nine hours to make it to an island - self-rescue. It would seem to me that a guy who experienced that no doubt had plenty of time to study how he got into that situation, and how not to get into it again...thus, I tend to pay attention to what divers like that have to say about the topic.

Which is one reason why a snorkel might be a required piece of equipment for a Dive Rescue class.

Will you ever need a snorkel in a cave? No.

Do you need a snorkel if you're kitting out to penetrate deep inside a wreck? No...

But its a matter of tools in a toolbox. If I were planning to do a drift dive in Fiji, a folding snorkel would be a tool I might select to carry with me.

Obviously masks and fins are needed on every dive, but for the rest of it - select your gear based on what you're doing. Very few equipment items are "right for every need". Pick the right tools for each job. Snorkels, like other tools, come in real handy under specific circumstances.

So figure out which one might work best for your class (clue: check with your instructor before buying one...), and pick one up (or borrow it for the course). It will be a required item.

Regards,

Doc

You will need a snorkel in Rescue class. Some of the assists one has to do involves surface swims. I think you are expected to be face down rather than swimming out on your back, so you can more easily keep an eye on the person who needs help. I know I was not allowed to be on scuba for these parts, however, my snorkel's purge was leaking so the instructor relented and I was allowed to swim out on scuba (the others had to use snorkels).

As far as carrying one normally, well there are arguments from both sides (which I am sure you'll hear shortly when this thread develops into 100s of posts of people arguing til they are blue in the face that their way is right), so really your call. :) Fwiw, I never carry a snorkel. My buddy on the other hand, always dives with a snorkel in his pocket. We do ocean diving and I have been in really rough waves and not needed it at all. But I know others prefer to have something in their mouths. Try it out perhaps, and make up your own mind as to whether you want one.

My advice if you do get a snorkel, is get a simple fold-up one. They are much cheaper at sporting good stores than scuba stores (locally $10 versus $50+). I would tend to avoid fancy type snorkels (dry ones, stuff like that) and get a simple J one, but yea, your call really :)

The idea is that you have different tools in your toolbox, and you use each tool if and as needed.

Gotcha. Snorkel for Fiji. I'll put it right next to the little dye pack that also makes sense if you think you may be stranded in open water.

Doc nailed it.

That said, if you don't want to use one, buy or borrow a simple, cheap one and wear it on your harness where a backup light would go. That's what I did in Rescue.

I actually take my snorkel with me on cave diving trips.

It's for snorkeling in the bay in the afternoons, after we're done cave diving :)

Snorkel, dont wear it, stuff it between head and mask strap for the exercises that require it, leave it in the bag the rest of the time.

Dont bother with the mouth > snorkel thing either as most snorkels these days are self drain so wont work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom