Nova Scotia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raviepoo

Contributor
Reaction score
in exile in the Pennsyltucky Archipellago
# of dives
500 - 999
This message is intended for cold water divers.

I'm involved with a non-profit organization that uses volunteer scuba divers to gather fish abundance and distribution data. They plan several group trips each year. These trips are intended to gather data and to help member volunteers learn about the ecosystems visited. They include scheduled dives and seminars on marine life.

They are considering running a trip to Nova Scotia in August of 2004. Obviously, there is a smaller pool of potential participants for this sort of trip than for a trip to a warm water location. They have asked me to help find out if cold water divers might be interested in a trip to Nova Scotia focused on learning to identify fish and other organisms that live there.

It would be an enormous help to me if a few of you could answer the following questions. Even a reply of "No, this doesn't interest me one bit" would be helpful.

Have you ever considered diving in Nova Scotia?

Have you ever gone diving in Nova Scotia?

If yes, what dive operation did you use?

Were you happy with them? Why or why not?

Would you be interested in the type of trip I've described? (Don't worry, there will be no nagging solicitations if you say yes. If you want trip schedules, send me a private message and I'll let you know where to look for the information.)

Do you think three days of diving is enough or would four be better?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I live in Nova Scotia so the answers to your questions are, Yes, Yes, Torpedo Rays, Yes, friendly staff, maybe, 4 maybe not enough.
Hope this helps.

I don't have a lot of dives under my belt but I have a only dove in Nova Scotian waters (mostly in Cape Breton). I mostly dove with friends but learned from Sydney Scuba and Marina. They are good but with only one dive master are generally too busy. I would love to dive but have very limited experience.

>Have you ever considered diving in Nova Scotia?

Yes, I am taking a group of Ventures (youth 14-17) there for a week in August

>Have you ever gone diving in Nova Scotia?

No this will be my first time.

We have connected with Torpedo rays and they have been most helpful, so far, in our planning.

I would be very interested in finding out more about this project. If the timing worked out right, it may be an opportunity for our group to benefit from some of the seminars or even possibly help out. Raviepoo, PM me if you feel there is a possible fit! We are fresh water divers who will be trying salt water for the first time.

Eric

Hi

Like Hammy, I too live in Nova Scotia (Annapolis Valley area) and I have sparsely dove all over the province. Where are you looking at basing your project from? Are you only interested is seawater? Do you want to do freshwater as well?

I'm from New Brunswick and done alot of diving there, as well as a fair bit of diving in NS (Halifax), and now I'm living in St John's and diving mostly here in Newfoundland.

For diving in Nova Scotia, I'd go with Torpedo Rays...excellent service...ask for Jason.

Type of diving I've done while I was there was all wreck diving, but there's lots of life on the wrecks...

if your looking for more info on othere dive sites in the maritimes, give me a private msg.

safe diving

I'm in NS now but I haven't dived here yet -- no drysuit. I'm definitely planning on some summer dives with my wetsuit.

I would be very interested in knowing how this trip worked out, as I have been working with a non-profit environmental organization in Sydney, NS doing mostly marine biology projects. I have also run the prospect of forming a Reefkeepers type group by the local dive club members, and received an encouraging response. Is your fish count going ahead?

As for cold water, there are people here who dive in wetsuits in the winter. NOT ME! For good info, contact some local divers, possibly through the Nervous Wrecks dive club, their website is:

http://www.geocities.com/cbdive1/wrecks.html

raviepoo:
This message is intended for cold water divers.

I'm involved with a non-profit organization that uses volunteer scuba divers to gather fish abundance and distribution data. They plan several group trips each year. These trips are intended to gather data and to help member volunteers learn about the ecosystems visited. They include scheduled dives and seminars on marine life.

They are considering running a trip to Nova Scotia in August of 2004. Obviously, there is a smaller pool of potential participants for this sort of trip than for a trip to a warm water location. They have asked me to help find out if cold water divers might be interested in a trip to Nova Scotia focused on learning to identify fish and other organisms that live there.

It would be an enormous help to me if a few of you could answer the following questions. Even a reply of "No, this doesn't interest me one bit" would be helpful.

Have you ever considered diving in Nova Scotia?

Have you ever gone diving in Nova Scotia?

If yes, what dive operation did you use?

Were you happy with them? Why or why not?

Would you be interested in the type of trip I've described? (Don't worry, there will be no nagging solicitations if you say yes. If you want trip schedules, send me a private message and I'll let you know where to look for the information.)

Do you think three days of diving is enough or would four be better?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello i would definately be interested
I am a 27 year old with four years experince diving all over Nova Scotia...currently I am doing my divemaster course. Also I am a Paramedic in the province if you need someone around for insurance reasons...so if you do plan thsi expedition you can e-mail me or get a hold of me here.

Have you ever considered diving in Nova Scotia? Yes - I'm now living in New Brunswick, but learned to dive while living in Halifax.

Have you ever gone diving in Nova Scotia? Yes - many many times

If yes, what dive operation did you use? Torpedo Rays and Diver's World in Halifax. Greg Gaetzke for the Matthew Atlantic in Port Mouton and BIll Flower for the Saguenay in Lunenburg are all excellent operators

Were you happy with them? Why or why not? Happy with all - they went the extra mile to make the dive experience top notch.

Would you be interested in the type of trip I've described? Yes - please send information. I am planning on diving in NS each weekend in August so I'd like to meet up with some "out-of-towners".

Do you think three days of diving is enough or would four be better? Depends on how hardy the divers are. I'd like 4 days, myself - hell, a week sounds good to me!!!!

email me at KimL@nb.sympatico.ca with details - would love to join the trip!!!

Back
Top Bottom