Knife & light: am I too lite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arnaud

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have a knife. I've never felt the need for it. I don't have to cut cave lines and the kelps break easily.

I don't have a light, except a mini Q4 that I carry in my drysuit pocket. If I dive at night, and that doesn't happen very often, I just rent a light for the evening.

I'm just a rec diver, no deco, no overhead, no doubles.

Am I doing it wrong?

I'm just a rec diver, no deco, no overhead, no doubles.

Am I doing it wrong?
As long as you are comfortable with the way you dive and your equipment, I would say you're doing it just fine.
I don't have a knife. I've never felt the need for it. I don't have to cut cave lines and the kelps break easily.
I carry one but our diving conditions are different. I see more monofilament line diving than in the fishing shop.:rolleyes:
I don't have a light, except a mini Q4 that I carry in my drysuit pocket. If I dive at night, and that doesn't happen very often, I just rent a light for the evening.
If you only need a light every now and then, it's kind of hard to justify the purchase of a super duper can light that will not get the use it deserves, so why bother?
I think as long as you're comfortable and happy with what you've got, then keep on diving.:wink:

I would say at the minimum have at least a cutting device just in case you get hung up in some monofilament.I carry a very small knife that is easily accessible on my waist band and a pair of emt shears in my pocket just in case.I have never had to use either one but if i ever do its right there.

You ALWAYS need some sort of cutting device while diving. They are seldom ever used but, you'll be glad you have it when something goes wrong.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
You ALWAYS need some sort of cutting device while diving. They are seldom ever used but, you'll be glad you have it when something goes wrong.

I agree... And carrying a little pocket sized light is a good idea also.

I'd agree with everyone else.

I've seen plenty of fishing line scattered across a reef. This stuff is really long, and if you got tangled in it and didn't notice it you might have a problem. I also carry both Sea Snips and a knife in a ho-made pouch. The snips would really come in handy for cutting through that line without cutting yourself.

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
I also carry both Sea Snips and a knife in a ho-made pouch.

Have her make me one too while she's at it!!

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
Have her make me one too while she's at it!!
Are you sure it's a knife pouch you're looking for??? :tease:

I have EMT snips and a line cutting knife on the BC inflator hose as well as an Ikelite PC in the pocket all the time day or night. When I'm spearing I have another PC on the gun and a killing knife.

At least get a small knife.
You won't be able to break monofilament with your hands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom