New York to Manado

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pelan-pelan

Contributor
Reaction score
This summer.

How do you get from New York to Manado?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You can go Singapore airlines to Singapore and then connect with Singapore Airlines subsidiary Silk Air for the Singapore to Manado route. Since it is considered a single trip the Piece Concept of luggage weight applies. So you get two bags of 50 lbs each (or whatever the current rule is) compared to the Weight Concept (WC) where you will get only 20 KG (44 lbs) total. Search this forum for a more detailed discussion. In March 2007 I did the same trip but from LAX to Singapore to Manado and I bought my ticket on Singapore Airlines web site for US$1123.

You can also go to Malaysia and take Air Asia to Manado

You can go via Jakarta but that means taking domestic flights which are often late and have poor safety records in general.

Upon arrival in Indonesia, ask what the International Departure Airport tax is. So save that amount in local currency. It is payable in Indonesian cash after you check in for your departure from Indonesia. It will be the equivalent of about US$ to $10. Each airport in Indonesia has a slightly different rate.

I am planning a trip to Lembeh and Bunaken in late spring. Thanks Alan for the luggage info. I was planning to make a stop over but now I will have to think about it.

My wife and I just went to Bunaken in Oct. 08. We flew China Airlines to Taipei then to Denpasar, Bali for the first leg of our trip. We then took Garuda airlines to Manado then a boat ride to Bunaken. For international flights you have a baggage allowance of 2 bags person and 20 kilos each bag and one carry-on. At Bunaken, we stayed at Bunaken Marine Park Resort which was okay (better than most, "rustic" accomodations, some units with a/c, decent food, has fresh water showers, no pool, good dive masters, they handle all your gear and rinse all with fresh water and decent wood boats). We had great dives at Bunaken. Warm water (3mm with beanie) compared to Nusa Penida (5mm min with beanie) and strong currents. China Airlines turned out fine despite the poor reviews that were found on the web. DO NOT FLY Garuda! Our return flight to Denpasar was cancelled for no apparent reason and we were stranded in the Manado airport for 6 hours, finally had to fly to Jakarta first then finally to Denpasar.

Have a great time!

Welcome to Indonesia. Garuda has a much better track record for flights than other local airlines. They have been my first choice for several years.

Another option ...

Cathay Pacific from JFK - LAX - HKG - DPS. Spend a couple of days on Bali getting your internal clock readjusted, then fly a domestic carrier from Denpasar to Manado. Cathay Pacific is substantially cheaper than Singapore Air, but still offers very good service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom