Should I get a DPV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabear47

Registered
Reaction score
I live in north jersey and im and trying to decide if should get a dpv. i probaly do about 30 to 40 dives a year most of my diving is off the jersey shore or down in the florida keys when im on a vacation. so should i get a dpv?

Well, the first thing I would ask is, what would you use it for? If you are doing shore dives with long surface swims, or diving where unexpected currents come up, or diving sites which sprawl and where you rarely get to see parts of the site because the distances are too great, then a scooter is a great tool.

The second thing is, do you know anybody else with a scooter? If you're the only one who has one, unless you're a habitual solo diver, you're going to be a bit out of luck for buddies. (Although a dive or two with a buddy that you let use the scooter for a couple minutes often ends up with more scooters in the community . . . they're like crack cocaine; one taste, and many people are lost.)

The third thing I'd say is, if you are going to get a scooter, take a scooter class. There is a lot to running the things, handling malfunctions, dive planning for dead scooters, keeping a buddy team together on scooters, etc. My husband took a class after we'd had our scooters for almost six months, and he learned a TON. I'm going to do the same thing, as soon as my schedule permits me to get into one.

note to self...take buoyancy master class before scootering master class.

Dont forget scooters are also just plain fun, there are few pieces of dive kit you can buy that actually increase the fun you have underwater. You can spend all you like on dry suits, computers, rebreathers, but how many of those make you grin so much underwater your mask floods?

Yeah, I have a buddy who would just sit there and run the camera without helping, too. :rofl3:

Yeah I was thinking the same but then I just got caught up with the fact that this was so bad that if it was me I would have first flooded the camera after freeing myself so that I knew it would never end up posted on the internet.

I don't think he had enough helium in his mix . . . :)

It's a pretty eye-opening set of videos which really point to the fact that preparation is everything. The amount of garbage he has dangling off his body makes it a very hazardous situation and he's lucky that he didn't end up a fatality being bounced around on RB world.

That being said, a fair number of UK wreckers share the same Christmas tree diving philosophy as their NY/NJ diving counterparts. A scooter does not help when penetrating, or wrecking near submerged nets. Very, very dangerous stuff these draped nets, or monofilament line.

X

I live in north jersey and im and trying to decide if should get a dpv. i probaly do about 30 to 40 dives a year most of my diving is off the jersey shore or down in the florida keys when im on a vacation. so should i get a dpv?

I'm on Cape Cod and use a scooter all summer long huntin lobsters. It extends your gas big time, terrific against currents/tides and of course the fun factor. The hassle is you have yet another piece of eqiupment to lug to your dive site and back so I try to keep it light and easy. Also, if your navigation skills aren't honed in the low vis Atlantic you tend to get lost pretty quick.

Back
Top Bottom