Hollis cam band issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beemes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,
I just set up my elite backplate system and my cam bands are giving me some trouble. They seem to be over sized for an al 80 and the bitter end with the velcro is way to long and wont fasten properly. The cam clips do fasten and I can dive with it, but its not secure and the bitter ends are bow shaped with minimal velcro contact. My room mates set up is the same and we are stumped. Any ideas?

Many cam bands are too long for al 80's. My Oceanic bands are the same. They work great on my 95's. Where is the buckle on your set up? I position mine all the way over to the plate and it seems to help by giving the velcro end more room to work with. The cam bands on many plate setups are too long if you have the buckle centered on the tank.

They velcro pad is not the best for a BP/W, Highland makes a great cam band, easy to use and wont scratch your tank, and there is no velcro pad its built into the strap :wink: The hollis ones will sratch your tank as you tighten them. Of course your tanks will get scratched anyway, but why do it sooner than you need to :D

https://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=363_411&products_id=2368

What I did was cut the stitching that holds the loop around the d ring on the buckle together and use a belt slide instead then you can adjust the lenght of the band. I made mine short enought to use on my 40 steel tanks (5.5" dia). Here are some belt slides, I don't know if Hollis sells them or not? Belt Slides (Weight Retainers)

oh bummer, looks like we will have to jury rig the velcro. :shakehead: Kind of a silly thing to have to do on brand new equipment, live and learn. Thanks for the responses

oh bummer, looks like we will have to jury rig the velcro. :shakehead: Kind of a silly thing to have to do on brand new equipment, live and learn. Thanks for the responses

If you add a beltslide you can adjust the lenght to get the velcro to line up. Here's a pic, the one in the middle is adjustable. Dive Rite Tank Straps (Cam Bands or Cam Straps)
Just cut the stitching (not the band) with a razor blade to open up the loop.

Hey all,
I just set up my elite backplate system and my cam bands are giving me some trouble. They seem to be over sized for an al 80 and the bitter end with the velcro is way to long and wont fasten properly. The cam clips do fasten and I can dive with it, but its not secure and the bitter ends are bow shaped with minimal velcro contact. My room mates set up is the same and we are stumped. Any ideas?

Hi Beemes,

Our cam bands are designed to work with Al80's in addition to various other sizes, such as 95's as Jim pointed out. How much room you have to secure the end of the velcro strap depends on how close the buckle is to the rig. Obviously with smaller tanks, you will need to go closer.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to call me directly at 510-729-5111 if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,

Back
Top Bottom