Ikelite DS160 Issue - help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funkcanna

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi

I just received my new Ds160 today and tried it out with my camera and housing. I got 3 images which worked fine, then after than the images came out blank, as if the strobe was not synching properly. I unplugged everything etc and tried again but same issue. I did not touch the camera settings at all.

Im using a D300 in Ikelite housing.

Any suggestions?

Ok I discovered something strange - when I set the compensation dial to any of the TTL settings (in the yellow band) this problem occurs. When I set the compensation dial to any of the Manual settings (black part of the band) the issue is not present, however the strobe whacks out full power in this setting.

Is there an issue with my housings compensation dial? The strobe is set to TTL.

Sorry to hear of your trouble. Is there any error code on the camera's top LCD screen when you take a picture?

Look at both ends of the sync cord. Check to see that none of the contacts are bent or pushed in. Also look at the hotshoe in the housing to see that the pins all stick out approximately the same amount and are springy if you push on them.

Install the hotshoe all the way onto the camera and try the system again. Set the strobe and the dial on the housing to TTL. Look at the strobe when you take a picture and try to see if it fires two flashes or just one.

If it's still not working properly, and/or firing only one flash in TTL mode then you can isolate the problem by testing the strobe independently. Set the strobe on a fractional power and use the instructions found on our website to test fire the strobe:
SYNC WIRING

If it fires full power instead of a reduced power, then it's a problem with the strobe. If not, then there is likely a problem with the housing circuitry.

These are general things to look for and try. I would be more than happy to help you with troubleshooting your system by PM.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom